Our mission

My fish tank

mpoletti said:
Thanks Greg, now its just a fish tank and I'm learning that this hobby should not be a competition, but just a hobby. If the tank grows up, great. If not, that is great too.

Well said, everybody wins, so why compete :)

seminolecpa said:
If you lost anything or do lose anything, me tanka es su tanka.

Gracias Senor Bryan. If your not doing anything on Sat, I'm headed down that way; kind of. My route is not finalized, but most likely: Atl, Karson's, Neptune's (possibly Brian's) and then Ian's on the way home.

tuberider said:
mpoletti said:
Thanks Greg, now its just a fish tank and I'm learning that this hobby should not be a competition, but just a hobby. If the tank grows up, great. If not, that is great too.

Well said, everybody wins, so why compete :)

Thanks Jeremy. Agreed.

Mark,

I'd be interested to know the rationale behind switching out the LR, sand, and water. Did you do that in order to resolve the issues with receding corals and pH? Or were there some other reasons?

Thanks,
Jared

Jared, My tank was BB so that was the reaosn to add sand back. I've heard many times that sand will help stablilize a tank's PH, but I just think my water was "bad". I also like the appearance of sand in my tank and I knew I was going to go back to sand if I did not tear down for good.

As for rationale, I'm not :D Ask any of the people around here that know me outside of a forum. There were a couple reason's why I went with new rock: did not want to mess with encrusting corals, did not want to worry about any trapped nutrients, new rock would allow a new look and I could pre fab my aquascape idea.

sango said:
Mark,

I'd be interested to know the rationale behind switching out the LR, sand, and water. Did you do that in order to resolve the issues with receding corals and pH? Or were there some other reasons?

Thanks,
Jared
Eliminate the parasitic Aptasia anemones?

mpoletti said:
screebo said:

Luckily, I've had a copperband for close to 5 years so aptasia in my display has never been an issue.

/And that folks was the 666 post to this thread :D

mpoletti said:
screebo said:

Luckily, I've had a copperband for close to 5 years so aptasia in my display has never been an issue.
I'd ask you to start a CB rental service but I've not had much luck with CB's lately :( I'm sure the trick is to get one to eat for starters.

Tumbleweed said:
Hey Mark since the change have you noticed any problems with nutrients? Any N03 P04 problems or rises with having basically all new rock.

Kinda too soon to tell on either P04 or NO3 ;) Neither shows up all that quickly IME>

mpoletti said:
Jared, My tank was BB so that was the reaosn to add sand back. I've heard many times that sand will help stablilize a tank's PH, but I just think my water was "bad". I also like the appearance of sand in my tank and I knew I was going to go back to sand if I did not tear down for good.

As for rationale, I'm not :D Ask any of the people around here that know me outside of a forum. There were a couple reason's why I went with new rock: did not want to mess with encrusting corals, did not want to worry about any trapped nutrients, new rock would allow a new look and I could pre fab my aquascape idea.

Sometimes you just need to press the reset button, it's part of the game :)

GreshamH said:
Tumbleweed said:
Hey Mark since the change have you noticed any problems with nutrients? Any N03 P04 problems or rises with having basically all new rock.

Kinda too soon to tell on either P04 or NO3 ;) Neither shows up all that quickly IME>

Kind of like Gresham said, The numbers are fine right now, but its still early to give an opinion either way.

Happy New Year :)

1stoftheyear-1.jpg

The tank has a long way back and I doubt it will ever be close to what it was, but at least I'm enjoying it at this point.

YNWA

1stoftheyear-20.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o184/mrpoletti/posted/tank%20build/1stoftheyear-19.jpg/IMG]

[IMG]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o184/mrpoletti/posted/tank%20build/1stoftheyear-18.jpg

1stoftheyear-17.jpg

1stoftheyear-16.jpg

1stoftheyear-15.jpg

Back