Jestersix

I need to vent

It seems as if I've given out quite a few DBTC frags lately with the stipulation that the transaction is recorded by the person receiving the coral. During a cursory checkup of frag status it came to my attention that the majority of the corals (more than a few) have gone into a black hole. It is really not to hard to log a frag, seriously, that type of irresponsibility undermines the whole program.

I don't mean to come across as harsh, but during my check up I was shocked at the lack of followup, it's disappointing.

I don't know :D

One of the problems is I often go straight from a meeting to a gig that can last until late at night, it makes for a very long day for me and me taking notes seems silly when someone that has received a frag needs to get it into their tank in short order. I would assume then that they are at home and close to a computer.

Funny you mention this because I was going to update a frag I got from you today but apparently I didn't log it or it got lost on one of those server farts... Not sure.

Agree with your rant though

I added my branching green psammacora, although I don't recall you telling me it was my responsibility. I always check ones I give out, but that isn't soooo many frags so far.

Jeremy, Darn it! I didn't even know that the receipience is the one that need to do or "can do" the updating. Sorry about that. I'll update from now on as soon as I start receiving frags again :D

I also mistakenly though that some one is scanning through the DBTC posts each day and making updates.

Maybe in every DBTC post their should be a note about keeping things up todate? Just a though.

I hear you Jeremy.

I'm no where as active as you are, but it really makes me sad when I post a picture of a coral and then some dumbasz has the gaul to ask me when I'm going to DBTC it in PM or in a thread.

The DBTC is an awesome program, but it appears that some people only see it as a way to get free coral :( #whatreallygrindsmygears

northbay-reefer said:
Jeremy, Darn it! I didn't even know that the receipience is the one that need to do or "can do" the updating. Sorry about that. I'll update from now on as soon as I start receiving frags again :D

I also mistakenly though that some one is scanning through the DBTC posts each day and making updates.

Maybe in every DBTC post their should be a note about keeping things up todate? Just a though.

It's not a rule that it is up to the recipient to post up the frags, I just ask that people do and use blind faith, it's as much my fault as anybodies really. The program does not have oversight other than the folks running the threads (the general membership), that's where my frustration lies. Again I don't mean to sound harsh and people that know me know I'm not uptight and angry, I'm just very passionate about the DBTC program and want it too succeed long term, not just turn into the line for free coral and fizzle out.

mpoletti said:
I hear you Jeremy.

I'm no where as active as you are, but it really makes me sad when I post a picture of a coral and then some dumbasz has the gaul to ask me when I'm going to DBTC it in PM or in a thread.

The DBTC is an awesome program, but it appears that some people only see it as a way to get free coral :( #whatreallygrindsmygears

It's good we can have this discussion, without people contributing to the program it disappears. While there is not a financial incentive to the program, there's a reward in sharing, propagating and creating a huge database of corals and their care, that's invaluable. It's more than just coral, it's movement of captive propagation that has spread across the country and to a certain extent is the backbone of our club.

Well said sir, and it's people like you that really make it happen! I have been a member formless than a year, but with all of the good examples I've seen I now feel the same way and enjoy sharing!

tuberider said:
It's good we can have this discussion, without people contributing to the program it disappears. While there is not a financial incentive to the program, there's a reward in sharing, propagating and creating a huge database of corals and their care, that's invaluable. It's more than just coral, it's movement of captive propagation that has spread across the country and to a certain extent is the backbone of our club.

I agree 100%

I am betting a big part of the problem is ignorance, not laziness.
I was very confused myself, and happy that Coral Reefer registered it.

Suggest that when you hand someone a coral, make sure:
1) The coral container is specifically labeled with "DBTC" who it is FROM, and the CHAIN.
New members do not know everyone and their user names well. It is easy to forget the chain name,
and it is nearly impossible to guess/identify if you forget. Only takes a few extra minutes.
2) Make them specifically agree to register it TODAY.
You put it off, and people forget. If you are not specific, people assume what is easiest.
A specific agreement on responsibility and schedule like that will really help.
And if people go "Huh??", explain DBTC, or maybe wait to hand it off.

tuberider said:
It's not a rule that it is up to the recipient to post up the frags...
If you are giving it away, you get to make it the rule!

Don't think most people are in this program for free corals, current situation is not lack of giving, but in opposite sometimes there is lack of interesting for accepting, even for some nice frags. I think people are caring more about responsibility to propagate and spread a coral, and worry about killing a coral, maybe that is also a reason why people are not very good at recording frags (the worse thing I want to record is 'dead' in DTBC, but we all know that happens all the time).

ryanjiang said:
Don't think most people are in this program for free corals, current situation is not lack of giving, but in opposite sometimes there is lack of interesting for accepting, even for some nice frags. I think people are caring more about responsibility to propagate and spread a coral, and worry about killing a coral, maybe that is also a reason why people are not very good at recording frags (the worse thing I want to record is 'dead' in DTBC, but we all know that happens all the time).

Encrypted in your post relative to the OP, is that people do not want to record their corals because they don't want to have to change status to dead, there's information there if a coral died, that is important too (lessons learned).

For every person that is nervous about being a steward to a frag, there's someone willing to let the steward give it a shot. Corals die, it happens, in fact I happen to have an Aquavitro salt bucket out on my porch that is full to the top with skeletons. I'm not ashamed of that fact and anyone that has been in the game long enough will tell you the same. It's a serious program, by that I mean seriously good, not something serious enough that people are going to hate because a coral died ;)

Everyone looses corals from time to time. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Like Jeremy said, all info added is good, dead or alive.

As to giving back to the program I’m sure there are people in the same boat as myself. I started accepting a few pieces from the program. As my tank was new and it still needed to settle into a good balance there have been ups and downs to my corals health. This coupled with a nitrate problem that got away from me and a learning curve using LEDs some of my specimens have not had the growth rate that can be usually seen in a seasoned/established tank. (There’s also the flame angel that ate a few pieces. It really seemed to like anything that came from Screebo’s tank!)

On the surface it looks like I'm just there for free corals. However, I’m getting to the point that I’ll be able to both forge another link in the DBTC chain for corals I’ve accepted as well as start new chains. It’s just been a long road getting there.

-Gregory

Giving back is less of an issue then receiving a coral when asked to record it and never recording it.

tuberider said:
northbay-reefer said:

It's not a rule that it is up to the recipient to post up the frags, I just ask that people do and use blind faith, it's as much my fault as anybodies really. The program does not have oversight other than the folks running the threads (the general membership), that's where my frustration lies. Again I don't mean to sound harsh and people that know me know I'm not uptight and angry, I'm just very passionate about the DBTC program and want it too succeed long term, not just turn into the line for free coral and fizzle out.

I've known you for a long time so I don't think you are being harsh at all, I think your passionate about the program. DBTC is a great program and It is still in the growing process. I know that it has been around for years but in this hobby and in this club we are getting new members and old members leaving and coming back all the time. The idea tend to get loss with the change in membership. People like yourself that have been here for a while will help keep it going so I think it is good to bring this up.

Back