Reef nutrition

Checked out the new fishneedit LED

Thought this might be of interest to some of you, I have a set of T5 lights from this company and I have been very happy with them. They recently said on their site that they are developing an LED light, and the first ones arrived last week. I decided to go check them out, because they looked interesting, and here's what I saw.

one.jpg

two.jpg

It's a 79W fixture with 2 20W 14K multichip LED's and 13 3W blue supplemental emitters. The guy's name is Simon, and he compares it to a 150W MH fixture that they sell. From looking at it in person, I think it is easily as bright as the 150W MH, and it has the bonus of separate actinics, and all the other LED stuff everyone talks about. He had a lux meter there, and at 1 foot we got a reading of 1358. I'm not familiar with metering light so I'm not sure if that's good, but it's a bright light.

three.jpg

In person, I think it looks a bit less blue than a 20K radium did when I ran one. He had a tank running this light there, so I took a few shots. The blue is decent, honestly not the best I've seen, I think the color from a blue reefbrite was nicer. It did fluoresce the corals though, and with everything on the color was quite nice.

four.jpg

five.jpg

I ended up spending several hours chatting with him and checking the light out over his tank, taking it partially apart, and discussing the issues he faces designing his own lighting. I've always been impressed with his ideas and the way he approaches designing lights for aquariums. Everything is replaceable, and his older MH+T5 designs are all modular, which means you can upgrade your tank and not have to redo your entire lighting setup. We also discussed that he was working to make a T5 light that would attach to this and be modular in the same way as the old setup. As of now, this doesn't easily work with the older designs.

Since I've never had a problem with my T5's, I haven't had to test out his warranty service. However, he offers a year warranty with continued support after that, which I find nice. I like that he's a hobbyist too, and his design ideas reflect that in ways that a lot of other companies don't.

I have no idea on the specs of the power supplies used, and I'm not personally too familiar with LED tech, so I'm not sure that would help anyways. I do know everything in this fixture is Chinese, and it is assembled in China. We talked a bit about his issues finding good quality components and he seems to have put a lot of effort into finding components that will last.

Overall, I think this is a very cool light, a mixture of the "cannon" idea with a bit more spread. I took off the lens and ran the light without the optics that it comes with and it looked like it got more spread that way. He stated it's about 120 degrees without the optic on, and the optic narrows it down to 70 degrees.

Unfortunately for me, my tank is 36" and one of these alone would put me right back where I started. I'd have to get two, or supplement with T5's. I'm still debating whether I could make this setup work without having to buy two of them.

In any case, I hope this was interesting for someone.

cool.
It seems like new LED products are popping up all over the place.
I'm going to wait a year or two and see what shakes out.

Think I know one of the guys, time to pay him a visit.
I'm not completely sold on LED's yet, just Antony posted looking for a PAR38 lamp since his went under.
So much for tens of thousands of hours...
I like the modular feature of their fixtures (MH-T5)
They stand behind their product AFAIK, think locally to SF, Aquatic Central might stock some of their products.
One of the guys used to work for Aquatraders in SB and ventured to import those fixtures.

JAR said:
cool.
It seems like new LED products are popping up all over the place.
I'm going to wait a year or two and see what shakes out.

Did you ever work on the blue LED supplementation?
The sort of greenish smooth skin acro you gave me is turning deep blue. Both of the blue frags are great color. You are going to like LED once you do get in.

It's great to see another high density multichip design. I think that bulb lighting's days are numbered. (Says the guy who reads only under a Verilux full spectrum incandescent 40W bulb because he's picky).

I've gotten a chance to speak with the designer of the lights (real stand up guy), and I am actually very impressed with the output from this LED fixture. The price is a bargain as well, all things considered. Plus, those 20w LEDs are bad-ass! The entire fixture is bright. I'll definitely be following the development of this LED fixture, as it certainly has great potential. Also, FNI offers fantastic customer service.

xcaret said:
I'm not completely sold on LED's yet, just Antony posted looking for a PAR38 lamp since his went under.
They stand behind their product AFAIK, think locally to SF, Aquatic Central might stock some of their products.

Well, the LEDs in my lamp were still good, however it must be some other component of the lamp that went awry. The LEDs wanted to come on, as they flickered upon firing. As far as I know, LEDs either work, or they don't work. I sure hope par38 lamp going out was a fluke/lemon. If another goes out, I may seriously
consider give this FNI fixture a go over my tank.
Lucky Ocean Aquarium in San Francisco carries the FNI line of lighting products as well.

xcaret said:
Think I know one of the guys, time to pay him a visit.
One of the guys used to work for Aquatraders in SB and ventured to import those fixtures.

Yeah I'm not 100% sold on LED's also and this reason is responsible for a lot of my hesitation. A large amount of the LED products I've observed out in the real world have 1 or two LED's out, and it really bothers me to see most of the manufacurers approaching LED as a "buy it, use it, toss it" technology. When LED's were brand new there were a bunch of ideas that incorporated replaceable parts, and even if the power supply isn't "best" when used, I'd still rather run it until it's dead than toss still useable parts in the garbage. I understand how this makes things easier on the manufacturers, but it makes it harder for me to sell it to myself.

We also talked about his partner having worked at Aquatraders, and Simon's statement was that his partner was fired for being "too nice" to the customers. Take that with a grain of salt, as complete hearsay, but I know Simon is a very nice guy, and from what I've seen doesn't operate anything like 99Aquafishtraders. I also should have remembered his partner's name, but I'm bad with names.

Back