Kessil

Which 17" laptops are under 5lbs?

Bought my wife a 17" laptop yesterday but she complained that it's too heavy. It weighted like 7lbs :| ... is there any good laptop that's under 5lbs and doesn't cost too much??

Elite said:
Bought my wife a 17" laptop yesterday but she complained that it's too heavy. It weighted like 7lbs :| ... is there any good laptop that's under 5lbs and doesn't cost too much??

You had me up till I came across "too much" :p I know what LTs are definitely too much, but not sure where your budget cutoff point is.

17in laptops for wife is overkill. Unless health issues with eyes, etc.
15in is a perfect size. Macbookpro are at 5.5lb I think

Oops, misread the 17 as an 11.

I think asking for large screen + light + cheap is basically impossible.
At best, you might find one that will fall apart on you.
Go used maybe.

To me, 17" means desktop replacement, largely used at a desk.
Perhaps consider a small 13" laptop and separate large 19" screen.
I bet you can get both for < $1000.

I think there's non, unless you remove the battery and dvd drive.

Maybe ask her if she'll like a 15.6" laptop. This size would be ideal to carry around the house or outside. There is a 15.6", Intel core I5 with (8hr) 6cell battery Acer that only weigh 5.4lbs and only 0.91" to 1.4" height. My wife have the 14" and I love it.

She wants 17". She works from home several days a month. She's working on giant excel spreadsheet all the time. She wants something big so she can see easier. I told her to get the 15"+ but she said no |( . It doesn't have to be cheap but at least not breaking the bank.

I want the macbook too but not sure if she can use it to remote into her PC at work. Is there a remote desktop software on a MAC that's allow her to do that?

If she's working at home all the time get something with a 15" with a HDMI out. Take the money saved and buy her a 27" monitor with an HDMI input, then do extended desktop she'll have 2 screens and she can drag the windows to the 2nd screen to work on them.

If going the macbook route it would have to be a macbook pro so she can run a virtual machine and wont have any compatibility issues with work software. Same as above applies, get the 15" take the money saved and get a 2nd monitor. It does not have to be a mac monitor, Samsung is a pretty good brand. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001431

works like this mac or not:
gallery_hero1_20101020-580x404.png

You could always "camp" on the Dell Outlet stores website for deals on laptops...

A few years back I picked up a couple brand new laptops for 750 per that sold for over 2k on their custom laptop builder...

I'm a big fan of using a laptop with external moniter (and sometimes keyboard/mouse) when I need to have lots of desktop space.

I just found out that her company use Citrix for remote access. She goes to the website below and using her id to log on.
https://myapps.micron.com/vpn/index.html

I will check other brand to see if I can find anything.. I have a very good desktop with a 22" LCD and she doesn't want to use that |( ..

Citrix is for VPN (A gateway to connect your home network to the office network)
VNC (like Remote Desktop) is a way to connect your laptop with a desktop at the office.
You will need to run both.
That said - you never know with corporate networks and IT. Might not work.
Best to find out before getting a mac.

Look into the refurbished market. A big step up from craigslist.

rygh said:
Citrix is for VPN (A gateway to connect your home network to the office network)
VNC (like Remote Desktop) is a way to connect your laptop with a desktop at the office.
You will need to run both.
That said - you never know with corporate networks and IT. Might not work.
Best to find out before getting a mac.

Look into the refurbished market. A big step up from craigslist.

After she log into Citrix, there is an application to remote into her PC at work.

Yeah Mike I check several brands that I would buy the laptop from and none of them are under 6lbs. All are 7lbs + .. I will get her a 15"+ .. I like the 15" too. 17" is way too big. I like to get a HP laptop but their damn new touchpad suck. I guess I will just get a Dell.

yeah :bigsmile: .. I think I will get her the XPS 17. Just want to know if the screen is glossy or not. Per Dell it is but it doesn't look like it from the picture.

Back