Reef nutrition

Help. Strange Tissue Recession

I don't see him saying it was a Reverse Deep Sand Bed and if it was and it calcified, it was set up wrong I suspect. The beauty of them, by design, is you can simply dump that sand and start a new one

For my post, RDSB = Remote deep sand bend.
But either way, agree, easy to dump and start a new one. Or consider alternatives.

To clarify though : I think dumping, stirring it up, digging it out, or whatever,
while connected to display tank is risky.

rygh said:
For my post, RDSB = Remote deep sand bend.
But either way, agree, easy to dump and start a new one. Or consider alternatives.

To clarify though : I think dumping, stirring it up, digging it out, or whatever,
while connected to display tank is risky.

correct... take offline THEN do removal :)

yes yes... remote is another term used for (and method) and I wasn't even thinking about that. In my head I went right for reverse and cast all other choices out like it was toxic waste!

rygh said:
And 40 ppm might explain tissue recession issues.
Same thought here.

Especially looking at the base recession coupled with reasonable numbers for alk, Ca, and Mg.

Generally, base recession can be from low alk, and other factors that inhibit coral growth or formation of coral skeleton. This shows earliest on the faster growing corals. Bookfish and I sometimes say, "If it isn't growing, it's dying".

So suspects would be:

low alk/Mg
low/restricted flow
high phosphate
high nitrate

And based on your info, it looks like big water changes to drop nitrate is a good move. Good idea on removing the old RDSB too.

Mr. Ugly said:
rygh said:
And 40 ppm might explain tissue recession issues.
Bookfish and I sometimes say, "If it isn't growing, it's dying".

Hey I say that all the time... It's true in many cases, especially in business :D

Nah... it's an old saying :) "If your not growing, your dying".

I have it a bit now too. Jer - the acro in the middle will prolly be white by the time you make it out here.

It seems seasonal. Allergens? Switching water supplies?

Thales said:
I have it a bit now too. Jer - the acro in the middle will prolly be white by the time you make it out here.

It seems seasonal. Allergens? Switching water supplies?

Radiation from China :D

I'll do what I gotta do if anything starts to slide while you're gone...

Dr. Ayleen Moorse (UCSB) did a huge study on the seasonal dust from the Sahara and annual bleaching and tissue recession of corals in the Caribbean, she found some correlation, so perhaps there is some seasonal issues, especially with people close to the coast.... Like me, or you...

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/04/08/sudden-coral-death-in-a-thriving-tank/

yeah that's right. I future posted that :D (look at the publish date in the link)

Back