Our mission

Earth day LED bulb sales at Lowes

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Technically not just Earth day, but I believe throughout the the weekend.

Anyways, I'm posting here because its not really an aquarium related bit. But there's a Utilitech "40w equiv" bulb on sale for $10 (9 something to be accurate). Not sure what the quality of these are, but seeing similar GE, Sylvania, or any of the other big bulb makers selling similar bulbs for $30 a pop I figured it was a good deal.

Lumen count initially put me off a little, but when your realize that the light actually shines in the direction of the bulb and not everywhere there's a spiral tube they actually are fairly bright. I currently slapped one a light fixture and it's opposite a "60w equiv" spiral bulb, and they look fairly close to the same brightness, the spiral is a bit redder in look. Also they're dimmable, so good times if you want a dimmable bulb but don't trust the dimmable fluorescents (yet). Best of all for me though, is they turn on instantly, and they're at full brightness, I'm a bit tired of fluorescent bulbs taking 5 minutes or so before they hit peak brightness.

7.5 watts, not too shabby, I picked up 6, so if you're going to the SSF lowes, I'm the reason they have no more :D

Not sure if it matters, but it actually looks like a bulb and lights like one (not a spot light)

13033133315607.jpeg

Here is the link to the bulb at Lowes. Sunnyvale Lowes has 85 in stock, plenty for you Mike :). Funny the website says it is on sale, and the store says it is "everyday low price". I picked up two, very bright nice bulbs, brighter than my 13w CFL bulbs.

Heheh Tong, I don't need that many bulbs. I bought 6 for the living room recessed lights... which of course the wife doesn't like because it's "too cold". However looking at the bulbs with a spectrometer they actually give a pretty good continuous spectrum (yellow is absent however) compared to the fluorescent bulbs which have like 4 or 5 emission lines that are fairly narrow.

Back