Jestersix

Tapmorf's 57

A couple months back I planned a trip to the Bay Area to pickup my 57g Illuminata from Robert at Neptune Aquatics who was nice enough to do everything over the phone. With the new tank in hand, built a stand slightly larger than the footprint of the tank to house the sump plus top off bucket inside.

57g Oceanic Illuminata Reef Ready
Sunlight Supply Tek T5 6x39w
Neptune Aqua Controller Jr
20g Sump
Mag 7 Return Pump
JBJ ATO
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Avast Marine Media Reactor
Coralife UV
Aqua Euro 1/10 hp Chiller
Vortech MP10

Critters:
Solarensis Clown Fairy Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Blue Reef Chromis (3)
Threadfin Cardinal (3)
Lawnmower Blenny
Various Snails

Decided to add sand to the display for aesthetic purposes, only about 1 inch of sand.
All livestock was transferred from the 24g nano and the 57 has been running for a month.

Here are a few pics of the stand being built.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Once I figure out how NOT to take crappy pics, I will post some tank photos.

Photos come out completely washed out by the light from the fixture using my digital SLR.
So I snapped some quick photos with my iPhone.

045.jpg

047.jpg

044.jpg

I was surprised that the iPhone was able to take a pic.
Anyone have some advice on settings for taking tank pics with a Nikon D90 with standard Nikon 18-105 lens ?

tapmorf said:
Anyone have some advice on settings for taking tank pics with a Nikon D90 with standard Nikon 18-105 lens ?

Maybe you can try the different metering modes -or manually expose.

Anthony, Thanks, I will try what you suggested. I really need to read up and experiment with the camera settings.

Eileen, Thanks. I always tell myself. "I am not upgrading, I am not upgrading." But it never works.
How was your move and the new tank going ?

Move went well and planning on coming back to SF - rents are going up all the time. Great for work not great for me personally. Tank is coming along, but at a relative stand still awaiting to be torn down for the upcoming move back to SF.

Looking forwards to seeing more pics of the tank.

Btw, it's a great sized tank. I still have my 58g tank and really don't want to part with it.

tapmorf said:

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/10070?page=2#comment-165367
I just took pics with my D90 and 35mm Nikon F2.
I do shoot in RAW and process in Lightroom. There was almost no postprocessing. Pics are not great and need white balance foxes, etc which i didn't do.

Just added a few fish I had in QT.
A pair of Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra)
and 1 male Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

Will take pics when the light is on tomorrow. The Hoeven's Wrasse dove right into the sand.

Back