Reef nutrition

Receding LPS. =(

I've had a problem for about 4-6 months with various corals, dying, losing color, receding and can't figure out what might be the problem.
All types have been affected; softies, LPS and SPS although mostly it's LPS as that type makes up the majority in my tanks. The corals not doing well include Green Nepthia, some SPS acros (not montiporas), and many LPS chalice, favias and may acans have receded or died. Many corals I have look fine, but some seem to get the 'disease' or parasite or whatever it is and start receding. I included a few pics of recent victims below that have recently had the tissue recession.

I can't think of any change I've made that caused this as I haven't really changed anything significant over the past year. There isn't any critter or fish I've introduced that I could imaging causing this as the only additions are a couple wrasses & snails & crabs. I've Aquavitro salt for around 2 years and have recently upped the frequency of water changes to 20% change every 2-3 weeks.
I do dose calcium & alk, and my dosing ingredients and amounts hasn't really changed over the past few years. I use phosban & carbon in a dual chamber reactor and change them about every month. There's nothing else added to the tank except food.

The water parameters are:
salinity 1.025-1.026
temp: 78.5-82
ph: 7.9-8.2
alk: 10-11 dkH.
Phosphate: 0-1 ppb.
calcium: unsure exact # but typically ~400.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this problem is? Any suggestions of things to try? Increased water changes?

here are some pics taken today of the receding edges of some corals:

no, i've seen the sweepers and they're not in danger of sweepers. many of the corals have been there for 1-2 years and are located pretty far away from any sweepers.

Do you do anything for your magnesium? test or dose it?

Gresham's right, test your mag (and while you're at it, calcium) levels. Also, during problem periods, increase the size of your water changes if you can.

From the photos there seems to be a fair amount of wacky algae/slime growth going on - bigger wc's will help somewhat with that as well, but take a look at your skimmer + powerheads, maybe give em a vinegar bath and make sure they're working properly.

+1 on magnesium.

Losing color can point to slowing growth. Combined with recession in LPS, I look for inhibited calcification.

Since your Ca and alk are ok, you need to rule out low Mg, which is another common one that affects skeletal growth.

I could believe your Mg being ~1000ppm or less based on pics and symptoms and description of maintenance.

good advice. Once in a while I'll add a little magnesium, but it's a small amount, but it makes sense to get it tested as well as Calcium. I'll also up the frequency of water changes- can't hurt.

Long shot - but what are your nitrate readings? My acans, favias and chalices looked similar and receeded just like that when my nitrates were really out of wack. That would also go towards explaining the algae.

P.S. - let me know when you're ready to part with a frag of that clove in the last pic. ;)

-Gregory

Low MG seems to sprout algae as well Greg. I highly suspect MG or CA.

Gusty - Have I mentioned how you're my favorite BAR member? :bigsmile:

I'll be at the meeting on Sat or I can p/u at Mare Island again.

-Gregory

Got water parameters checked by the experts (i.e. Neptune). As i thought, nothing out of ordinary- it was 1 time I was hoping for something wrong that I could fix. Test results were
Mag = 1350
Ca = 375
Alk = 10.7
salinity = 1.025

thinking it's possible that there's a chance that a metal(s) could be in my system somewhere causing the problem, I bought some Cuprisorb to absorb any metals. I'll give it a try and be doing a lot of frequent water changes and hope i see some improvement.

anyone who wants a frag of the cloves, contact me & you can pick one up- I won't be at the next BAR meeting.

I'm betting on the ca, 370 is kinda low and with our hobbyist grade kits it could easily be a bit lower which would, IME, create issues with chalice.

I have had a relatively large % of snails that don't live in my system, making copper a potential culprit. I've got the a 250 ml of Cuprisorb in the sump and I've bumped up the CA dosing.
If anyone wants to take some of my receding chalice until I get this resolved let me know since I have 5 or so that are going downhill & if they make it we can frag it & you can take a frag or 1/2 of it since some are just frags.

Salinity should be higher, 35ppt is what you want. Bumping up ca will help thr salinity and corals.

The cal and alk seems to be out of the optimal balance to me, I think if you lower your alk and raise your cal slowly it will be better.

Also I notice the corals seems to be opening nicely except for the burned edges, this might point to suddent changes of one of the three components cal/alk/mag. I am just wondering if you added anything recently, has your alk always been this high?

Back