Cali Kid Corals

Live Rock Hitchhikers - Friend or Foe

Hi Everyone,

It has been a lot of fun watching things emerge from my live rock - especially that great purple algae.

However, I have seen a worm and a crab both of which I was told at LFS should come out if I can get them out.

The worm is fast and has white tentacles that emerge (not a feather duster - a worm). I'll try to attach a picture.

The crab, I am told is a rock crab - small and quick now. But I am told they CAN be aggressive. He is small and gray with hairy legs. How the heck do I get him out of there???

Let the discussion begin...what unexpected friends/foes have you encountered in your live rock and how did you get rid of the bad stuff.

Thanks,
Dennis

Give me an A

Give me an I

er.. n/m looks like aiptasia my man, if you can remove that rock from your tank I'd do it now, get a chisel, screwdriver, whatever and hack off the piece of rock the aiptasia is on and call it a day. You do not want those guys to start spreading, and really don't want to resort to chemical or biological warfare against them since they will keep coming back.

smiley said:
peppermint shrimp eat those....every peppermint ive ever gotten have eaten them....
But there are some people who can say: "peppermint shrimp never eat these!" Biologicals can be hit or miss for control. Not trying to bash you, I love using biological controls, but for a new reefer ya gotta let them know everything.

I heard that they arrived from space on a meteorite. Which means you can't kill them. Take the rock back and get your money while your at it.

Good Luck
Kelly

So...I got the Peppermint Shrimp already and he's hiding in ANOTHER rock! I love that hunk of rock too - so much good purple algae on it. Can I just chisel off the part with the worm or do I toss the whole thing.

What about this so-called "rock crab." Do I wanna toss the rock he's in too? I can tell, I ain't gonna be able to catch or kill him. He is FAST! Is he bad?

Thanks ya'll. And I agree. For a newbie (like me)...tell ALL!

So when I busted the hunk of rock with the aiptasia (word of the day) in it, there were any number of critters scurrying around including a few little mini crabs. My tank must have a lot more stuff in it than I thought. I have feather dusters cropping up all over too. I think that is okay, right? And my snails are going to town on the algae. I have some great purple algae but plenty of the annoying green stuff too.

I have some macro in the refugium.

I have two big turbos that work hard on the algae. I have 5 margharita snails (?) and 2 trochus snails. Oh and a nassarius. They are all busy working away.

I have a smallish Halloween Hermit (I think MIA) and now a medium one. And then the peppermint shrimp.

Nothing else - YET. July is "add a fish month."

Try and take pictures of everything you want ID'd it helps alot. Also this has been a good source to help me ID stuff http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html

So to clarify: aiptasia is a type of pest anemone, not a worm.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

Happen to have a pic of the crab? I tend to not like hitchhiking crabs, but it depends.

Odds are that you have a lot more life in your tank than you think. Try checking out the tank at night with a flashlight. Also to trap the crab, you can try putting a little piece of shrimp or some pellets in the bottom of a tall, smooth glass tilted up against the rocks. So for any other ID's, pictures are a great help.

Thank for the great link, Erick. I think I have a xanthid crab or however many. These apparently are in the NOT good category. Therefore, I may have to try Mitch's trap suggestion.

I will keep digital camera handy to tank and snap a photo at first opp. He is smallish though.

phishphood said:
So to clarify: aiptasia is a type of pest anemone, not a worm.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

Happen to have a pic of the crab? I tend to not like hitchhiking crabs, but it depends.

Odds are that you have a lot more life in your tank than you think. Try checking out the tank at night with a flashlight. Also to trap the crab, you can try putting a little piece of shrimp or some pellets in the bottom of a tall, smooth glass tilted up against the rocks. So for any other ID's, pictures are a great help.

+1 on the trap...it works great. I had used it many times with my first shipment of LR from Florida (many years ago when it was still wild and not aquacultured...and dinosaurs roamed the earth :) ) I must have pulled out 10 to 15 crabs.

-Gregory

Back