High Tide Aquatics

Aquarium - where to get?

GreshamH said:
Ugh, or certain Turbo snails... especially the ones from Bali. The swirls they left on mine are damn deep. You can hear them rasping at night :(

I've had problems with Chitons before. They are not cute and really dug into the acrylic!

I've had tangs and had no issues.

rygh said:
aqua-nut said:
What's your objection to TruVu? I really want to know as I don't have a horse in this race (yet)!

I had a Tru-Vu. Bought 5 years ago.
For me, the downside was that the acrylic was a bit thin for the size of the tank,
so there was more bowing than I liked.
Other than that, it was excellent build quality. No problems, no bubbles in the joints, nice rounded
front corners, good quality cast acrylic. (I could tell when I drilled it)

+1 on Kritter tanks. I have one. Love it, reasonable cost. (Acrylic)
I bought direct.
But it was a big custom one. It may or may not make sense for a standard one.

I've had a TruVu. Same thoughts on the thin acrylic. Mine had the eurobrace come apart along the back top seam. Fixable but a pain.

Black at Neptune. That's kind of the opposite of hiding it, let's celebrate the seam!! I like the look, but I bet you can guess who is even more opposed to it than the clear. :)

rygh said:
tuberider said:
Plus if you plan on having tangs, good luck with the acrylic.

What is the compatibility issue with Tangs and acrylic aquariums?

When they get larger their teeth scratch the tank.

Also, I must echo what Phong said, a rimless acrylic tank will most likely cost you more ($1500-2000 for one with thick enough acrylic for minimal deflection) than a stock glass tank without a center brace.

gimmito said:
aqua-nut said:
gimmito said:
Kmooresf said:
TruVu would be another one to try.

...maybe 5-10 years ago.

What's your objection to TruVu? I really want to know as I don't have a horse in this race (yet)!

Rygh said it eloquently. Gen will give you a custom tank at a reasonable price.

That didn't answer his question... He wants to know why you made that comment, your post does nothing to rxplain your comment.

You should be in politics.

I had I custom 180 tank built by truvu about 3 yes ago , they where located in Hayward / union city area. They built it right off my plans and was pretty reasonable

GreshamH said:
gimmito said:
aqua-nut said:
gimmito said:
Kmooresf said:

...maybe 5-10 years ago.

That didn't answer his question... He wants to know why you made that comment, your post does nothing to explain your comment.

What part of the comment didn't you understand ?

1. Thin acrylic.
2. Bowing.
3. Split seams.

Would being on the BOD constitute being in politics ? :p

GreshamH said:
gimmito said:
aqua-nut said:
gimmito said:
Kmooresf said:

...maybe 5-10 years ago.

That didn't answer his question... He wants to know why you made that comment, your post does nothing to rxplain your comment.

GreshamH said:
gimmito said:
aqua-nut said:
gimmito said:
Kmooresf said:

...maybe 5-10 years ago.

Politics! No need to insult him! :)

Elite said:
48x24x24 rimless acrylic tank? That's gonna cost you quite a bit.. I like glass tank. acrylic tank is good for sump:) ..

I wasn't thinking about a rimless acrylic. Don't think I've ever seen one. Acrylic is so flexible it would seem like something out of Star Trek. You know, the one with Scotty talking to the Macintosh mouse. "There be whales, captain!" :)

I've seen eurobraced glass (like the display at Neptune) that has no center brace. Is that possible with acrylic? Perhaps that is a silly question since it seems everything is possible with enough $$. Perhaps I should say, is it possible for a reasonable price?

gimmito said:
GreshamH said:
gimmito said:
aqua-nut said:
gimmito said:
Kmooresf said:

...maybe 5-10 years ago.

That didn't answer his question... He wants to know why you made that comment, your post does nothing to explain your comment.

What part of the comment didn't you understand ?

1. Thin acrylic.
2. Bowing.
3. Split seams.

Would being on the BOD constitute being in politics ? :p

How does the relate to...

...maybe 5-10 years ago.

Did they not split seams, bow, or use thin acrylic 5-10 years ago?

No, a reef club BOD is no where near being in politics, nor is it even a primer for such a thing :lol: Kinda hard not to get voted in when no one is opposing you, or even wants the job :p

Aqua...you just take Gresham's comments with a grain of salt.

Now back to your question, I do have a Truvu 40 breeder for a fuge, a Truvu 60 gal FT, & a Truvu 29 gal sump. I'm not hating on them, but the acrylic is thin and not of a quality I would use for my main display. It seems you are leaning towards a acrylic display (with the help of your wife ;)), there is a big difference in Gen's acrylic work and of what I have seen from Truvu...just my 2 cents.

You are welcome to see his work if you are ever in the Millbrae area.

Gresh...I really don't have time to debate politics. I'd rather bang my head against a wall. :p

FYI, I threw my hat in for BOD because:

1. I was asked nicely.
2. There was a need.
3. Help the club.
4. You are correct it is thankless job, but I didn't see you throw your hat in the ring. ;)

gimmito said:
Aqua...you just take Gresham's comments with a grain of salt.

Now back to your question, I do have a Truvu 40 breeder for a fuge, a Truvu 60 FT, & a Truvu 29 gal sump. I'm not hating on them, but the acrylic is thin and not of a quality I would use for my main display. It seems you are leaning towards a acrylic display (with the help of your wife ;)), there is a big difference in Gen's acrylic work and of what I have seen from Truvu...just my 2 cents.

You are welcome to see his work if you are ever in the Millbrae area.

Thanks for the offer. PM sent.

gimmito said:
1. Thin acrylic.
2. Bowing.
3. Split seams.

+1 what Gimmito said.

And also:

4. Sloppy glue joints.
5. Chatter marks on the edges of the plastic from poor routing/machining.
6. Scuff marks at the joints from worn/dirty bearings on their flush trim cutters.
7. Non-flush joints from worn and poorly adjusted tooling.
8. Mislocated overflows.

For stuff that I've seen in the last 6 years, anyways.

I've seen older stuff from them that was better.

But I'm picky because I oversee R&D machinists and technicians and I know plastic fab. Poor quality work is a major peeve of mine. I have extremely low tolerance for it.

Looking for a 120 gallon eh?... It's a nice size. It took me forever to find my 150 gal. A good guy down in Milpitas gave me a great deal for his 150 gal glass tank 48x24x30H. $90. Can't beat that! It had only a few scratches on it and a small leak, which I stripped all the "secondary silicon seals" and re-sealed.

If you were looking for a 60 gal, 48x24x12 tank, I saw one down in SoCal. Acrylic with a "external" coast to coast overflow.
He was selling for like $250~300. It wasn't the right timing during my LA trip so I didn't get it for my "coral prop" system at the time.

Wow, it's been a YEAR!

I ended up getting a tank made by Kritter. 120G, modified coast to coast, external overflow. It's currently in my garage as I work out plumbing. I started a thread in the journals forum called 'aqua-nut's 120G - getting back to salt'.

This might even be a link to it:
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/15370

Back