Neptune Aquatics

Amphiprion ocellaris Breeding Journal

As the nanny, I wouldn't presume to overstep my bounds with the parents by passing out cigars - that's their prerogative. ;)

At this point I still haven't made any plans for what I'm going to do with the batch. For the past couple weeks the focus was on keeping them alive, and I am still mentally prepared to lose them all in a flash. There are roughly 30-35 survivors at this point. All I know is that for the ones who make it to the grow-out stage, I'd love to see them go to good homes. :)

lattehiatus said:
As the nanny, I wouldn't presume to overstep my bounds with the parents by passing out cigars - that's their prerogative. ;)

This is like Horton hatches an Egg. They're your babies David!

Kensington Reefer said:
I did pick up Richard's (yardist) hex...
Keep doing what you've been doing
That little tank has been longing for this oportunity.

David, congratulatiuons, and I hope they continue to grow out, with many more batches to follow. Thank for posting the photos. I let Jim, gimitto, know to keep posting videos for those of us tankless members. I hope you get a chance to film them.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, all! The clutch featured in this thread is now at 15 DPH, and I've started on another clutch. The older ones look and act like miniature versions of their parents.

One of the more amusing aspects of starting this project is that for the past decade or so I've scoffed at the big box pet store equipment aisles, but suddenly there I am buying aeration equipment (air pumps, air lines, gang valves, airstones, rigid tubing), sponge filters, fake plants/anemones/corals, and the like. I've always wondered who purchases those, and apparently it's me. :p

yardartist - If I follow gimmito's lead on the tank journal, does that mean I can make only one significant event per month? ;) Sorry I have been slow with picture and video updates, but you're close by and are always welcome to see them for yourself! :)

patchin - Have you been convinced to rear your cinnamons' young?

houser- Did you just compare me to an elephant? I think I should feel insulted. :bigsmile: If it turns out like Horton and the Egg and the little ones are half-fish half-human hybrids, my wife would be extremely suspicious. Troy McClure, anyone?

Kensington Reefer - Thanks for the offer! They are growing so fast I'm not sure if I'll have room for them soon. I would feel bad about having them freeload off you, so perhaps we can put them to work (hooray, no piscine child labor laws!). :D

David,

Your good and relaxed nature will get you a long way in this world, but you will not avoid the REQUIREMENT to post pictures! :wink:

We want to see pics of the little fellows!!

aqua-nut said:
David,

Your good and relaxed nature will get you a long way in this world, but you will not avoid the REQUIREMENT to post pictures! :wink:

See, that's why I don't post! LOL

lattehiatus said:
bookfish said:
aqua-nut said:
David,

:O NOW you tell me! :bigsmile:
lattehiatus said:
bookfish said:
aqua-nut said:
David,

lattehiatus said:
bookfish said:
aqua-nut said:
David,

lattehiatus said:
bookfish said:
aqua-nut said:
David,

I hope you noted bookfish has over two THOUSAND posts! Don't listen to BF. :)

Post lots. And if you happen to have pics, that would be very nice.
--changing approach, will it work?--

aqua-nut said:
I hope you noted bookfish has over two THOUSAND posts! Don't listen to BF. :)

Post lots. And if you happen to have pics, that would be very nice.
--changing approach, will it work?--

Changing my response: And where is that tank build thread for your large tank, John?!? :bigsmile: Sorry, couldn't resist!

My wife took a couple videos yesterday. I haven't edited them, but here they are anyway. Enjoy!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v641/lattehiatus/?action=view&current=15DPH1.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v641/lattehiatus/?action=view&current=15DPH2.mp4

David,

Thank your wife for me! Love to see the whole bunch swimming around. They look like they are getting big. In the first video there was a wad of them in the upper right. What do they find so interesting up there?
My build is limping along. Tank is just about finished. At this point we are doing some remodeling to the living room before the tank goes in so there is nothing to really show at this point. I took note of the abuse heaped upon those that take too long to complete their build thread (some dude w/ a 'L' shaped tank :) ) so I'm hanging back till I actually have something worthwhile to show.

Kensington Reefer said:
I think I have to come see for myself!

You know where I live, don't be a stranger! We can grab sandwiches at Genova. Was Bakesale Betty overrated?

aqua-nut said:
In the first video there was a wad of them in the upper right. What do they find so interesting up there?

The juvies are just ballers like that. ;)

Your living room re-modeling has been going on for a while! When's the expected completion date?

houser said:
An elephant's faithful - 100%!

OK, I'll come clean and admit elephants are incredibly cool creatures. Let's start BAPE (Bay Area Pachyderm Enthusiasts)! :glasses:

D
Yes, oh yes, Betty was over rated! The best thing about her is that you were already in line! Tell your wife (what IS her name?) that I agree with her. Go monkey noises! Have you noticed and physical deformities in any of the fry? Are the parents farmed or wild fish? I am willing to help you cull out the imperfections with a cool grouper or the like.

Back