Kessil

Circulation pumps/wavemaker

aqua-nut

Supporting Member
I'm in the process of starting up a 120G mixed reef and have some equipment questions.

Let me start with the in-tank circulation.

Vortechs look nice but $$$!
Tunze also look nice but $$!

So...

I'm thinking about using the Koralia line. Seems like the Magnum 5 would do the trick. They are on sale at Dr. Foster & Smith for $67.49.

Do you think this is an alright purchase?

I'm planing on using two. Is this enough?

Will they survive some sort of wavemaker? I'm not sure if that is the correct term. Can they be switched on and off (5 min. interval) without killing them?

Thanks in advance. All opinions and suggestions welcome.

I asked this recently of Koralia after one of the front covers broke on a 750gph powerhead. One day it was fine and the next morning it was shattered pieces on the bottom of the tank. The propeller was still spinning. I suspected it had something to do with using it on a wavemaker (I have the two zone OceanStream). Koralia tech support said that it wasn't the wavemaker's fault and sent me a new cover.

They said that anything made in the last 5+ years is certified for use on wavemakers. The really old Koralia line, two model series back, will fail more quickly if not used continuously. Since I don't actually have any of those old models I didn't delve into quantifying "more quickly". It probably has to do with overheating since the unit is cooled by the water movement.

I've been using a Koralia in my 135 for maybe a year or two now. I also have an MJ1200 modded to use an impeller. While the MJ1200 move much more water than the Koralia, the Koralia is much quieter on start up than the MJ1200, which is rather noisy. I am using both with the Aquarium systems wave maker power strip without too much problem.

I plan on adding at least one MP40 at some point but the price tag is holding me back fro the time being.

Just remember water movement in your tank is dynamic. If you are planning on keeping SPSs, two may be fine to start with, but as corals grow, they block water flow, and you may need to add more pumps.

My display tank is only 55G and two zones doesn't seem to be enough. I would go with 4 zones on different periods if I could. ie. two heads/pumps on 20 second cycle and two on a non-synchronized ~2 minute cycle. (Why don't the wave makers support prime number length cycle times!!!! 5,7,11,29,59, etc)

Instead of adding more wavemakers I will probably eventually get a sea swirl instead.

I have had very good luck with the larger Magnum Korallias. Been using them for years.
But the smaller 750 and 1050 seem to need constant cleaning.
They seem to last just 1-2 months, then jamb up with a pretty small bit of calcium deposits.
And since I have 5 of them, to try to get flow in the dead zones, it tends
to get a bit tedious.
Perhaps the smaller pump + tight tolerance makes it easy to jamb.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your 120, John!

Have you considered closed loops? Combined with a couple reliable pumps, devices like the Sea Swirl or SQWD, and some well-planned plumbing, you could have a very sleek looking tank with no visible power cords and excellent chaotic flow.

lattehiatus said:
Looking forward to seeing the progress on your 120, John!

Have you considered closed loops? Combined with a couple reliable pumps, devices like the Sea Swirl or SQWD, and some well-planned plumbing, you could have a very sleek looking tank with no visible power cords and excellent chaotic flow.

David,

I have considered it. I might do it once the tank is up and the corals have matured.

At this point I feel the individual power heads give me more options. It's not a big deal to move them around, add more, take some out, etc.

But hey, what do I know. All theory no practical experience at this point.

From past experience

I had a 90 gal 48" wide tank, started with various power heads at first but eventually ended up with 4 mj1200's on a wave maker (after trying several power heads including Sieo pumps with their brand wavemaker ). Flow seemed ok....no red slime and plenty of flow although the flow was more of a direct stream like from a water gun.

After a year or so ..... I finally bit the bullet and purchased a used Tunze multi contoller w/2 6100'S and fell in love with the wide flow that these pumps put out, added 2 6055's and now my flow seemed flawless yet gentle on the corals.

When I upgraded to my now 120 gal 48" wide tank , i decided to go with 2 MP40's as I wanted less visual distractions (bulky powerheads/pumps) in the tank. now I am getting great flow and with only two pumps that have a minimal visual impact.

Ulimately it will depend on what you want in your display tank and your budget of course...........I am very frugal when it comes to eqiupment but the last two pump upgrades have made me a happier reefer due to their performance and quality. I look back at all the pumps I had purchased and did not like and can't help but wonder on how much $$$ I could have saved if i would have initially spent the $$$ on the pumps on wanted in the first place :(

John,

I like the idea of a return going to two 1" sea swirls and having a few tunzes hidden in the back of the rockwork. You can always find these used at good prices either here or other "equipment for sale" reef sites.

Erin, I'd love to see your flow! Wow that sounds odd. :)

I'm in Santa Rosa so I don't make it over to your side of the bay often. I'm assuming you are in Kensington.(I had to look that up!! Yea for Google/Wikipedia.)

What day/time works for you? Next week (2/27-3/2) is not good for me.

my 2cents.

Since my tank is truly a show tank built in to the living room wall I wanted it to be visually free of equipment.
I found that the vortech pumps gave great variable random flow with the least visual impact.

That's what I got for mine. I like it. A bit noisy with the fan, but awesome flow. I also use a koralia 1400 behind the rocks, but probably don't need it.

i've used 2 MP40s for 4 years or so. flow is great, enough to blow fine sand around in a 180. my 2 complaints are I've had to send them back for service several times, although service is really good. And my main complaint is the noise- if you run a quiet tank it will be the loudest thing you hear. Each powerhead has its' pros & cons,. it's up to each reefkeeper to decide which is most preferred; visual display in tank, directional flow or not, noise, reliability, cost, etc.

Hi Reefers!
Circulation analysis is holding up the dream 48" 120 reef…
Powerhead variables; Cost, Reliability, Noise, Directional flow choice, Flow focus, Wavemaker or Aquarium controller, Night mode, Feeding mode, Random flow, Storming modes. Sure I'm missing something.

After due diligence and in the interest of keeping this simple (Meaning the CL w/Ocean Motion 4 is not an option for now) my question is, Would a Tunze 7096 controller run koralia 8's?
Or would a Neptune Apex with the koralia 8's do it in high style and solve a lot of other problems simultaneously?

Thank You and See you all at Steinhart.
Scott
Tunze 7096 - http://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Multicontroller_7096_External_Wavemakers_for_Aquariums-Tunze-TZ2139-FIWMEW-vi.html
Koralia 8 - http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_Koralia_5_8_Controllable_Pumps_Powerheads_Adjustable_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-Hydor_USA-HD00672-FIPHAD-vi.html
Neptune AquaController Apex System
- http://www.marinedepot.com/Digital_Aquatics_ReefKeeper_Elite_(Net_Controller_Multi_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Digital_Aquatics-DA1117-FITEMOMI-vi.html

I love my Tunze pumps. However one of them had a connection issue from the begining. They walked me through some trouble shooting and fixed it momentarily. Now they are sending me a replacement power supply (even though it is just the connection we think is the problem). Hopefully that will be it, but even on the wavemaker I can't hear them at all. Every once in awhile if I have them on max (3,434 gph) they click as they come on. I really like the night feature. It has a sensor under the light that once the lights go out, it mellows all the pumps out so the fish can get some rest.......lights come on, the flow ramps up again. And the feeding feature. Hit a button and they turn off for 10 min. I love it...........cause I feed them, and sit down and watch. Then when the food seems gone the pumps kick on and wip up all the stuff that hit the ground. I do think I will have to add two smaller pumps in the future to keep good flow in the center of the tank but this wavemaker will run two more pumps. I also really want to get a wavebox.....more WANT than NEED. ;) You might look into One of those. A lot of BANG for your buck.

Back