Neptune Aquatics

tuberider's 150g small apartment diplacement tank (super long)

tuberider said:
A little update via crappy iPod, it's been a while since I had my last hiccup and corals are really getting back to being in full color and growing rapidly again, I'm feeling good that in a year or so the tank will be mature (if I don't crash it of course :D).

1212-1.jpg

AEFW are still hanging in there, albeit in very limited numbers, I can maybe get 3-5 to fly off during bastering.

Supplementation now comes vis CaRx and kalk top off, it's just easier for me when I travel or get busy with work/play. I now run two Vortechs instead of Tunzes, they cost a lot more to operate (stupid wet sides), and are a lot louder, but they make up for it in the ability to move water in close proximity to coral without tearing the flesh off.

What CaRx are you using? How do you feed it?

Thanks for all of the kind words folks, it's coming from a crew that appreciates patience, which we all know is what the hobby is all about.

Eileen, the tank would be scaped much different if it weren't for a few corals already attached to rocks prior to the upgrade, otherwise I'm pleased with how the axes are working out.

G, it's a Kolallin reactor with #10 crushed coral media (doug "Aquatic Rocks" brand), and an Aquamedic regulator that came in a $20 "box of cap" special from Champion Lighting. I really like the regulator, the needle valve is pretty easy to tune compared to most other brands.

Looks really spectacular. Patience is rewarded.

I've really been debating whether to go with a 2x4 flat frag tank or something like this shape. I like your description, "low displacement" as it maximizes viewing surface without being hundreds of gallons. I marvel at the 200G+ tanks but don't understand why a two foot back-to-front tank with even more viewing area wouldn't be a better choice. Different goals no doubt.

Count me in as a fan of the ultra long tanks... Yours really shows what can be done.

bondolo said:
Looks really spectacular. Patience is rewarded.

I've really been debating whether to go with a 2x4 flat frag tank or something like this shape. I like your description, "low displacement" as it maximizes viewing surface without being hundreds of gallons. I marvel at the 200G+ tanks but don't understand why a two foot back-to-front tank with even more viewing area wouldn't be a better choice. Different goals no doubt.

Count me in as a fan of the ultra long tanks... Yours really shows what can be done.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the displacement refers tot he fact that my apartment is about 600sq ft and the stand alone has a 30"X84" foot print. When I first brought it home my g/f had a WTF moment before I explained to her that as a result of having the tank I won't have time to fool around :D

Ugh thanks for rattling my brain, I remember that now. 310 from Doug eh, I'll try that when my ARM runs out.

A 2' deep tank (front to back) is not much different then a 3' in terms of look, but you get a little more area to work with. I would drop my 4x2x2 in a heart beat to get a 4x4x4

result of having the tank I won't have time to fool around good excuse... gotta use that someday when I get another place and get a slightly bigger tank again.

Back