Reef nutrition

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

Hi Brandie,

I asked Bob Fenner about using tanks that have been treated w/copper. He mentioned it should have a negligible effect on the animals.

gimmito said:
Hi Brandie,

I asked Bob Fenner about using tanks that have been treated w/copper. He mentioned it should have a negligible effect on the animals.

Randy Holmes Farley wasn't good enough, so you went to Fenner with a chemistry question? And what study did Bob quote? And why should we believe Bob anyway?* :D

Brandie, I think the point of this copper side track is not who is right. It is very difficult to find someone who is right in reefkeeping because there are a million ways to run a reef. The best advice I have for you is figure out a way to develop your own saltwater thumb and almost more importantly figure out a way to sift through the million opinions on any reef subject to find the ones that make sense to you - and then be ready to change your mind when presented with better ideas. Just because an 'expert' said it isn't necessarily a reason to believe it, and be very wary of the dogma of the day...it tends to change like the weather.

I have lots of opinions about this kind of thinking about keeping animals alive and saving money that start here if you are interested: http://packedhead.net/2010/skeptical-reefkeeping-part-1-re-you-sure-that-that-thing-is-true-or-did-someone-just-tell-it-to-you/

That said, there is no reason to believe me either. :D

Happy reefing!

*Bob is a good friend.

Thales said:
You know its kind of my thing to look for accuracy and in communication and thinking and to try to kill old reefers tales in their tracks, so sorry if this seems pedantic and I hope it doesn't come across as dicky.

...if you gotta ask if it comes across as "dicky" it probably is Rich. :D

gimmito said:
Hi Brandie,

Thales said:
Randy Holmes Farley wasn't good enough, so you went to Fenner with a chemistry question? And what study did Bob quote? And why should we believe Bob anyway?* :D

Rich,

I didn't know who Gresham was refering to initially with only a RHF as a reference. Bob and I correspond so I thought I would ask him. Brandie knows who Bob Fenner is and I thought she would value his opinion (being in the hobby for 40+ years and all).

Sorry for derailing your thread Brandie, I do agree with Rich that we are giving you our "opinions' and it ultimately is up to you to vette through them and come to your own conclusions.

Ultimately, we all want you to suceed in the hobby. :)

gimmito said:
Thales said:
You know its kind of my thing to look for accuracy and in communication and thinking and to try to kill old reefers tales in their tracks, so sorry if this seems pedantic and I hope it doesn't come across as dicky.

...if you gotta ask if it comes across as "dicky" it probably is Rich. :D

I didn't ask! :D

No problem at all guys!

Thank you for all of the input, as always, it's very much appreciated.

Well, I am back! All the fish did really well, but I did have a suicide jumper (firefish, happened before I left and didn't know it) and one of my clown gobies is missing. It's weird because my friend said he was in there on Saturday, but when I got home on Sunday, I couldn't find him. Although, I found a HUGE aptasia, so I am wondering if he was eaten by that????? Idk, but I got rid of that, changed the water and fed everyone. The smaller black clown goby is slowly turning silver.....o_O

Good to be back, I missed my tanks. Although I did forget to seed the damn AC 110 while I was gone, so now I have to wait a while before getting new fish = /

I was going to divide my 60 in half with a screen, and do the gobies and blenny on one side, and the anthias on the other, and treat everyone (including the ones I currently have) like they were just bought and do the whole round of treatment on them. Does anyone see a problem with this? Thank you guys! Glad to be back, hope to hear from you all soon!

Yeah but it's the bigger one that's missing 0.o the tiny little one (who I totally expected to not make it while I was gone cause he didn't look good) is doing really well, but changing from black to silver. Any thoughts on his coloration change?

stress is a big cause of loss of color.... no idea on what's stressing it though... maybe lack of food, or too hot of a tank (higher temps = lower disolved oxygen)

Canopy is almost done! Finally, it's been a long road, but going to be well worth it. Finally be able to turn some lights on this sucker. Anyone know if that will encourage coraline algae growth in the tank? Because I have tons of it on the few live rocks from the other tank. Man, what a difference! I am not sure if it's a combination from the Salinity, the light or both, but those rocks are a vibrant purple. Can't wait to see that all over the tank! ^.^

Now I have to find a few fish, and then get my QT up and running, and we are on our way! =D

Unfortunately, we haven't seen any copepods in the 'fuge yet. Any idea when we will start to see life in the 'fuge other than the rock?

Also, for those who have the UV netting on the top of their tanks, what do you use to make the screen frame? Any suggestions? =) Thanks!

iCon said:
^^Window screen frame kit from HD, Lowes etc. Finally put mine together today. Pretty simple to do.

Does it need to be all plastic? Or do they sell those? I think part of my problem was going to Home Depot......

I still think the black netting looks better than the clear but I guess that only matters if your tank is small enough where you can see the top of it :D

J - Was your framing plastic or aluminum?

gimmito said:
The painted aluminum frames work fine. You can find the clear netting from Bulk Reef Supply.

I have the netting ^.^ just need the frame. I will have to look for the painted aluminum, thank you!

=D

Still working on the lighting as of now, so I don't think that I will have pics up tonight, but tomorrow night for sure! We had a problem with the electrical current to two of the fans, but, we got it figured out. Can't wait to show you all (especially apon) what we did with it ^.^

Yay!! Sucess! Finally! One step closer to being able to put fish in the tank! I will have to show you more in depth photos later, but this is what we have so far:

266107_2279078993021_912912626_o.jpg

This is with both m.h. lights on. I have lots of shimmer on the bottom ^.^ I have daylight in my living room and it's 12:27AM LoL.

Please let me know any thoughts =) (both actinic bulbs didn't make it through the revamp, so I will need to replace them = / )

Back