High Tide Aquatics

If You Could Do It Again...What Would You Do Different ?

Actually, now that I've had time to think about this:

If I had it all to do over again, and knew what I know now: I'd name all my corals fancy names and sell them for a $500 a frag.

anathema said:
Actually, now that I've had time to think about this:

If I had it all to do over again, and knew what I know now: I'd name all my corals fancy names and sell them for a $500 a frag.
Do that with zoas (imo, the most ridiculous thing in reefing right now.)

1. First tank was a 28 nanocube - Just skip to a larger tank, although it was good to learn on the 28. So I don't really have any regrets there.
2. Don't start with a yellow tail damsel.

1) Don't spend $500 on Cherry lumber to build your stand and canopy if you plan on putting a dark stain on it. Spend $250 on Poplar instead. Only you and your wallet will know the difference!

2) Like many others have already stated - spend the extra money on quality gear, in particular the lighting and skimmer, to start with. You'll save money in the long run.

~Charlie

1) I should have learned and read more before buying a tank. Not because I bought the wrong tank but for other issues like lighting, skimming, filtration, etc. I would have benefited greatly from a book like the Tony Vargas book.

I ended up buying what are, to most people, probably the wrong lights for my 55G. I have 4 24" T5s on a 22" deep corner tank. I can't really grow very many SPS except montis with this tank and lighting but am having fun with LPS, mushrooms and leathers. I've decided that most SPS stick corals and zoas are not for me anyway.

2) Never impulse buy corals even if it's a super duper sale. They will probably just die. I now only buy stuff that I already have success raising from swapped or DBTC corals. If I want to experiment with different corals, get 'em at a swap. I can always use another weird blastomussa or freaky acan though!

3) More patience and closer monitoring of tank params. 'nuff said.

Don't buy crap gear. It's amazing what we will spend on coral and fish....and then find the absolute cheapest route to DIY lights (for example).

Do more water changes (I'm lazy about it...testing too).

Don't let your wife name your fish. It's a sure way for the fish to die :p

1) Save money to buy a house first (should have done that long time ago; ended up buying a car instead)
2) Calculate how much of the wish list items going to cost (i.e. Skimmer, LEDs, tank size, sump, stand, etc.). Start saving up rather than taking shortcuts by buying cheaper equipments.
3) Pass the list to BAR members and get feedback (the advices and suggestions are priceless)
4) Start slowly. Everyone that I know (including myself) always add fish & corals too quickly regardless if the tank is new. The outcome of this is dead fish/corals.
5) Save up for retirement (can't bank on Social Security since it will go bankrupt)

Would have paid better attention in school to insure a higher paying job to afford this hobby.
Started using the old technique of asking for forgiveness instead of permission, sooner.
Joined BAR (or predecessor)in 2003 instead of RC.
Did more research on purchases ,before buying them.

Make every effort to avoid adding algae to my tank.

When I was running my 34, I would dip corals but not remove any algae on the plug or rock. I ended up with a bryposis nightmare. Now I remove the coral from the plug. If that is not possible, I dremel the rock/plug and glue any remaining algae.

Avoid wild sps colonies

I think I'm done with wild sps colonies. I've found frags do much better. I've been able to keep some colonies > 1 year only to have them RTN while everything does fine.

Change water more frequently

I try to run a very low nutrient tank. I recently updated/upgraded all my equipment and I've had no trouble removing phosphates, nitrates, etc. This lead to some laziness on my part and I stopped changing water frequently. Even though I dose ALK, CA, MAG, I wasn't replacing trace elements. After a conversation with Robert, I realized I was Iodine deficient. Long story short, changing water removes waste AND replenishes trace elements essential to color, growth and overall coral health.

tankguy said:
Dont sell every tank , light , equipment , fish , and coral you have because of a divorce. Starting over from scratch sucks

I feel for you Bob...going from a 500 gallon to a 29 bio cube is rough.

Water changes are the key. Dosing and checking parameters are huge too. When I first got into Reefing 4 years ago I would buy all kinds of coral and fish. And the would DIE.... Started researching, doing weekly water changes, dosing, and checking parameters and hey what do you know everything LIVES. So I would say get a super easy and convenient method down for changing water as you will be doing it all the time.

Back