Cali Kid Corals

Hydrogen Peroxide dipping

Does any one remember the guest speaker that went over the Hydrogen Peroxide dipping methods .....I believe it was Justin Credible ?
What I am trying to do is dip frags to get rid of nuisance algea but I dont remember if I have to dilute the Peroxide and how long to dip.

Sergio

Sergio
real quick - I do 4 parts water 1 part peroxide. Dip for 3-5 minutes. That's how I do it and it absolutely works for me. Scrub with toothbrush at the 2.5 minute mark. And try to keep flesh out of the dip or it bleaches or browns out on me!!
HTH
back to pulling the rack of ribs off for dinner.
John screebo posted this up on BAR search for that

I've done it. I've used more water maybe 6:1, I do it on my plugs (the only place I get visible algae because cleaners cant get to it) and they never seem to brown out or bleach. I measure very unscientifically I basically get tank water in a cup with the coral fully submerged and use a baster to stir the water, then I add peroxide until stuff starts to bubble then I let it bubble for 2-3 minutes. I don't scrub them and all plant life browns out and dies off then is gone over 2-3 days. I would scrub if you were doing a lot since then all the die off would be in your tank. I don't baste while it's bubbling it's basically to make sure the peroxide doesn't get super concentrated in one spot while I pour it.

CVS has 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for $0.99/32oz right now.

Is there a comprehensive writeup anywhere of hydrogen peroxide dipping procedures along with suggestions of concentrations and times for different types of coral? I've seen a lot of anecdotal conversations but would love to see a write up along the lines of the Povidone Instructions

It's all so new Mike, everyone seems to have their own methodologies. One of the speakers at BAYMAC (Justin) probably has more experience than anyone using it, I'm sure he'll touch on it.

Just remember... Don't dip Paly's. It seems that through an unscientific experiment dipping paly's that a couple of unnamed bar members got palyintoxicated. :Sp

^ I'm still skeptical about the peroxide and paly ordeal..and suspect that a longer than normal exposure to Coral Rx had SOMETHING to do with it...Most people dip and let it sit or whatnot (usually me too) but this time included scrubbing and handling over 2 hours straight. Another reason being because I've done it before in an enclosed area with no ill effects. Heck, that time, there were whole colonies of z/p being dipped. This last time MAYBE 50 polyps total...Not recently fragged or anything. Peroxide sure does get the algae off though! If you're doing z/p I'd take the extra caution and do it outside if possible.

How do Acans and chalices do with this type of dip? I've read that they do quite poorly and was wondering if you (Jeremy or anyone else) had any first hand experiences?

I just tried them on my zoas using 3% and diluting it using a 3 to 1 ratio. It worked great and the zoas are doing great.
Patrick

Hey guys - I rescued a bunch of LPS from a fellow reefer, a few of them have some spots that are dying back...I recall at this meeting that the speaker dipped corals that smelled like they were dying and was successful in keeping the rest alive...anyone else recall this and can to engage in a bit of discussion with me on how to do this properly...I've got about a dozen scoly's and similar corals that could use a dip...

...oh - need to update my thread - actual corals in the tank FWIW!!!

I don't think peroxide would help for this. It stresses LPS quite a bit and may be a killer for weak corals. Peroxide works best if the coral can put out a full slime coat to protect the healthy areas.

I would do Revive dip, one of the coral stress supplements like Restor and lots and lots of water changes. Twice a day 30-50% even. You can't let ammonia build up from the dying tissue. If you have phosguard/nitrate absorber then use that too.

Back