High Tide Aquatics

Metal Halide Lighting

Hi this is the first time I am really having, or at least planning on having, acros and such in my tank, and so I am wondering what type of metal halides everyone would recommend, also I am on a budget so it can't be anything really expensive. Also so far I have heard that 500 watts or higher for a 100 gallon tank is good is that true?

Or you can try T5 ;) I have a nice fixture that will grow any sps out there with the right water parameter :bigsmile:

If you want MH, I've got some 250 W or 400W ballasts and lumenarc reflectors available.

The choice to make is whether you want to spend $$ up front on LED (or plasma), but save money over time on electricity and bulbs, or have an inexpensive light now but spend over time on replacement bulbs and/or your electricity bill.

I also agree that water chemistry and flow are probably more important than type of light (light spectra being equal) in coral health, but growth rates could be different as light energy (PAR) will vary across light types.

Kensington Reefer said:
Why not just go LED?
I would have to find good ones, because last time I tried it ended badly. If you can show me some good LED's that aren't too pricey and can grow SPS well I would go for it. I have no prejudices against LED's and would put them on my tank gladly, but a lot of them are more expensive.

boun11 said:
Or you can try T5 ;) I have a nice fixture that will grow any sps out there with the right water parameter :bigsmile:
Sorry, what exactly is the difference between T5s and metal halides? I know practically nothing about lighting.

T5s are flourescent tubes. They work well for sps, if you have enough of them. That 12 bulb fixture is bigger than the t ank your looking at tho

nudibranch said:
Kensington Reefer said:
Why not just go LED?
I would have to find good ones, because last time I tried it ended badly. If you can show me some good LED's that aren't too pricey and can grow SPS well I would go for it. I have no prejudices against LED's and would put them on my tank gladly, but a lot of them are more expensive.

I dont think cheap or inexspensive should ever go hand in hand with selecting LEDS. For the 100 gallon tank you should be in the ballpark of about 800 to get start, now if you decide leds are the way you want tot go there are options and ways to set up your lighting so you can buy 1 up front and buy 1 down the road a little offset costs just depends on what lights you choose as to what spread you will obtain, IMO if you want MH go MH if your not comfertable going LED dont....

I've also converted from MH to LED, the main reasons were for cost & less heat. I have lumenmax elite reflectors if you decide to go MH & need some good reflectors.

Ive also switched over to LED's from MH. Cheaper to run ( long term ) and my sps corals are doing just fine. If you choose to run MH , Ive done well with both 150 and 250W

Layton, get two 250 watt ballasts with lumenarc reflectors just like I have over the coral flats. If you want something simple and that will grow your corals. There are a lot of bulbs out there to choose from. I'm using the Phoenix 14k and having great success with color and growth.

Coral reefer said:
Pics and a tank journal please!
Once I have finalized the buying of the tank I will start a tank journal.
coralfarmer said:
Layton, get two 250 watt ballasts with lumenarc reflectors just like I have over the coral flats. If you want something simple and that will grow your corals. There are a lot of bulbs out there to choose from. I'm using the Phoenix 14k and having great success with color and growth.
Hi James. Nice to hear from you. How is Connecticut?

Back