Reef nutrition

King's Landing Aquarium

How about a solar still to deal with tank water change disposal? More efficient than just letting the water evaporate, and the reclaimed water could be used instead of RO/DI to mix up new salt mix or dumped in the septic system. The residual salt/brine would still need to be disposed of outside of the septic system, but there would be a much reduced volume to deal with.

Waiting to find out about a different tank that is a lot bigger then planned, 3000g. I have my contractor looking at the cement slab today, didn't want to say anything before I know though, don't want to jinx it....

Ha! I always thought it was cool to watch them take care of the tanks at the large aquariums! The tank is 15x5x5, it is a whole different concept then I was originally looking at. We shall see how this goes though, no happy thoughts till it is sitting in my living room...after a leak test.

3000G! That's 400 cubic feet of water! Assuming the longest dimension is 10 feet you would still going to have an 8'x5' wall. THAT'S HUGE! What are you planning to stock it with? Manatees? ;-)

bondolo said:
3000G! That's 400 cubic feet of water! Assuming the longest dimension is 10 feet you would still going to have an 8'x5' wall. THAT'S HUGE! What are you planning to stock it with? Manatees? ;-)
SW crock tank! Awesome :-D

Wondering if this is possible...

I have been thinking of tying a mangrove specific tank to the system, and my goal is to reproduce a tide effect. It would not need to be quick, slower would be better. I would prefer something along the lines of 8-12 hours to fill and then in theory it could drain quickly or 6 to fill 6 to drain. My initial thoughts are using something similar to the surge tank design, but with very little turnover for the volume of the system. My first question is there a minimum amount of turnover necessary for the siphon to kick in on a surge tank? Secondly, what do you guys see going wrong? Third, any recommendations for an alternative? I would prefer something that does not involve float switches, Murphy strikes frequently enough for me.

The reason behind the tide effect is to strength the root system enough that it creates a habitat for fish and other organism instead of the ball mass of roots that I have seen in some systems online.

I think a simple way to accomplish a tidal effect would be to have a sleeve on the overflow that raises and lowers mechanically via a slow running motor.

anathema said:
Unfortunately though, I think you are looking for a strong surge, not slow tidal effect, if your goal is influencing plant roots.

My mangrove tidal tank runs off a carlson surge device and an Aqualifter. I throttle down the surge using a 1/4 pinch valve. Surge is made using RO line. The return from the Aqualifter spills over a rock island I created to hide the surge and emergency overflow.

Flow has no real effect on roots as far as I can tell. I had mangroves in a higher flow tank and both got snorkel roots around the same time.

BAYMAC: Is your tidal tank a dedicated system or plumbed into other tanks? I need the tidal effect, ATO to work, and have the flow continue through the entire system.

From my reading on the internet (must be true!), the root development comes from being out of the water and not heavy flow.

BAYMAC said:
anathema said:
Unfortunately though, I think you are looking for a strong surge, not slow tidal effect, if your goal is influencing plant roots.

My mangrove tidal tank runs off a carlson surge device and an Aqualifter. I throttle down the surge using a 1/4 pinch valve. Surge is made using RO line. The return from the Aqualifter spills over a rock island I created to hide the surge and emergency overflow.

Flow has no real effect on roots as far as I can tell. I had mangroves in a higher flow tank and both got snorkel roots around the same time.

The 1/4" tube feeds the tank from the surge, or feeds the surge, or both? Sounds creative.

Back