got ethical husbandry?

Free to good home

Hello BAR, it's been a while since you've heard from me. I hope that you are all well and that this post isn't considered an abuse of the forum. I'm posting here since I no longer have access to Buy/Sell/Trade.

For a while now I haven't been doing as much maintenance on my tanks as I should and the nuisance algae growth is ample evidence of that. Now I'm mostly done moving out of my apartment and need to move my tanks before my lease expires. So, it is at this point that I've made the difficult decision that the best thing I can do for the animals in my care is to give them to good homes where they will receive better care than I've been giving them. Thus, I'm offering, free to a good home if you pick it up in Sunnyvale (right at Lawrence Expy and 101), the following:

Non-Corals
  • Orchid Dottyback
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Tuxedo Urchin
  • ~3 Blue Legged Hermits

• Corals attached to rocks:
    • Prism Favia about 3" in diameter (recovering on one side from being stung)
    • roughly 6" x 4" x 4" rock containing a purple Acropora valida colony and 3 different zoa colonies (zoas started on plugs which could be removed easily)
    • browned Acropora millepora colony
    • brownish Favia which has been fighting with it's neighbor
    • recovering orange / brown Montipora digitata colony
    • green soft coral, Gusty may have said it was a Nepthea

Corals I can probably remove from rocks easily, in whole or in part
      • Brown and yellow Turbinaria about 4" in diameter
      • A good growth of what was supposed to be Idaho Grape Monti but for me has always been brown
        4 headed Duncan
        browned Acropora millepora (different from the one above)
        browned Green Eyed Echinpora about 3" long
        3 Ricordea (Blue, Green and an Orange)

Corals on frag plugs

• Greenish & peachish Lobopyhilia
        2 chalices
        browned Acropora millepora
        browned Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

Odds & Ends

• Rocks with various soft corals on them - mushrooms, clove polyps, pulsing xenia, GSP

Equipment

There are some old pictures of some of these corals in my facebook album linked in my signature.

If anyone is interested, this Sat and Sun, in the mornings or early afternoons, are the best times for me to meet you at my old apartment to gift any of these to you. I may also be able to delay until the Thanksgiving holiday next week. Let me know.

Best,

Justin,

That's kind of you to offer your livestock for free. I did likewise when I exited the hobby 12 years ago. I'm now back and have a thriving tank. Hopefully you'll do likewise in the future.

Good luck,

Julio

Oh, I'm certain that I'll get a tank again sometime in the future. It's just that I haven't had the time to maintain it properly and I don't know when I will again so I think this is best right now.

Offering what I have up for free only seemed fitting since some of what I have was given to me by other BAR members to begin with, plus some other gifts which didn't survive.

Hi Justin,
If the following are still available, I would like to give them a good home.

Orchid Dottyback
~3 Blue Legged Hermits

brownish Favia which has been fighting with it's neighbor
4 headed Duncan
browned Acropora millepora (different from the one above)
browned Green Eyed Echinpora about 3" long
Greenish & peachish Lobopyhilia
2 chalices

-perry

Hey Justin,

If it makes it easier for you, I can take a lot, if not all of the corals off of your hands (minus what Con wants). I actually am pretty close to you (off of Winchester and Williams) near Santana Row. Please let me know if you're interested as I can come by during the week if you're free as well. Otherwise, we can work something out on the weekend.

For the meantime, these will probably go in Brandie's tank as I continue getting my 40B build set up and continue waiting on my 10g to cycle. I'll PM you my contact info.

Hah, Saturday around noon is fine for me. Thanks again. I was going to pick up a shrimp from Neptune anyway so this means I can get something else instead..Hmm...

Sorry to hear you have to leave the hobby. Yes im sure you will be back.

I live down the street from you and can pick up any corals that you have left.

Wow, I honestly didn't expect this much interest given that I warned about algae problems in the tanks and how many of my corals are browned out. I'm happy that they will be finding homes. BAR is fantastic. I regret that I haven't been able to make it to any of the meetings in so long.

iCon, you were pretty specific about what you wanted and I already said you could have those so I'll stick by that. Around noon on Sat is great for me.

euod, perry, denzil and guc32, would you all be available around noon on Saturday as well? If so, you all could just divide them up between yourselves in some fairly equitable fashion. And as long as they're in the club.... If not, how about if, those who haven't, send me a PM with your contact info so that we can discuss arrangements offline as I don't want to post my phone number publicly.

Since I can't PM...

My old apartment, where the tanks still are, is in the big Avalon Silicon Valley complex. The address is

1271 Lakeside Dr Apt 1125
Sunnyvale, CA 94085

Use the very last entrance into the complex across the street from the huge mound of gravel from the abandoned construction site. Gate code is #0809. Drive back until you see the 2nd covered, 2 stall handicapped parking. My apt is very close to there.

Sounds good. Would be nice if everyone could get a piece of your generosity. I might bring a frag or two to toss into the mini-swap lol. Can't seem to PM you either but I'll be there.
Will you be selling your equipment by any chance? I have a friend (err, victim) that wants to upgrade their 10g and this complete setup would fit the bill pretty well. We can discuss Sat if that works..Can buy on the spot..No need to drag it out :D

Thank you for your generosity offering the corals to the club! Hopefully we can return the favour when you are ready to jump back in to the hobby

iCon, I hadn't been planning on selling the equipment because I know it is only a matter of time until the bug bites again. But now you have me thinking about it. (I had been considering an upgrade anyway, lol.) We can talk about it on Sat.

bondolo, I'm sure the club will be as generous when I come back to the hobby as they were the first time around. I still remember my very first BAR meeting, which happened to be a coral swap. I just came to see what the club was all about because my tank was brand new and I didn't have any frags with which to enter. 99sf was kind enough to give me a couple of corals from her round of picking so that I didn't go home empty handed. In fact, she gave me one of the Favias and the Green Eyed Echinopora I'm offering up; they've been with me since the very beginning of this tank.

I'm pretty bummed to hear that you need to take a hiatus, Justin. I enjoyed reading through your tank journal and seeing your awesome photos. Please feel free to drop in on the meetings, a little birdie tells me that there could be a guest speaker coming to talk about photography. :) The club will be here when you are ready to plunge back in.

Thanks Justin for the goodies.

If anybody up for some frags lmk:
brown and yellow Turbinaria
Red Monti

Pick-up at next meeting

Back