Cali Kid Corals

180 Custom Gallon Starfire

Wow, pretty cool to have a "container depot" within driving distance. Granted you can usually find those larger containers in the Sacramento area on Craigslist (farmers) nothing really near by.

Glenn Industries, out of Clearwater FL. It was close enough I could drive to them.

Well got my 6 stage RO/DI filter from BRS... but looks like my water pressure sucks! So had to place another order for the Booster Pump and added the 150 GPD water saver upgrade kit. Fingers crossed, hopefully it'll function better. As it stood I only have 40lbs of pressure and was only getting 5-10 gallon out of 100 gallons of filtered water.. would have cost a arm and a leg and taken a month to fill up what I need. Right now I need 400 gallons of filtered good water. So even at the new rate it should take me 2 days atleast to get it with it running 24/7

Well been a while, and had a few setbacks. The original stand builder, cracked my top Eurobracing panel, and I needed to have a new 3/4" piece of glass cut. Dam was that hard to find anyone who could guarantee a size and edge style. Not to mention expensive. But none the less I purchased a new panel, then I had to scrap and replace the broken piece, no fish store would help, and there are no builders within 400 miles, so I had to do it myself. I used GE 1200 silicon which is what I was told the tank was originally built with. Fingers crossed it will hold, I hope so caulked the hell out of it, it has a few bubbles in it, but I made sure the edges were clean and scrapped well.

Then I fired the original builder, and hired some amish folks to start over. I tore down the metal stand and built it with more clearance around the top so it will not press on the top, not to mention I do not need to worry about rust now. The wood is encased in concrete hardy board and the selas seemed like a shower. Inside the walls I had the guy insulate with foam board and make sure it light tight. Next we have to attached the doors which are already made and put final trim pieces on it and prime the inside of the stand with primer thats water resistant.

The sump is being constructed now and should be ready next week. Hopefully I have enough $$ left for the equipment, it really hurt to basically loose all that money with the screwball first stand builder. Lesson learned I guess, don't listen to the hype and don't even go off of photos. Go off what how you observe them working and their personality. If they com across cocky, boot them. They are not that good....

Enjoy the picts.

8250747135_502a871f59_c.jpg

8250747207_23260a0e54_c.jpg

denzil said:
Yeah, that goes across the board for any trade or profession. The cocky ones are always the shitty ones.

I absolutely disagree with that statement. You're young, you still have time to come across cocky ones that actual rule their world.

Attitudes don't make good work, good workers do, and attitude doesn't always effect actual craftsmanship.

BAYMAC said:
denzil said:
Yeah, that goes across the board for any trade or profession. The cocky ones are always the shitty ones.

I absolutely disagree with that statement. You're young, you still have time to come across cocky ones that actual rule their world.

Attitudes don't make good work, good workers do, and attitude doesn't always effect actual craftsmanship.

I have come across some cocky ones that do rule their world but it doesn't necessarily mean I have to like them.

OH working with a cocky worker SUCKS, I know that all too well. Every job I have had I have had to deal with that. Long term, I always break through to them, short term, not so good.

FWIW I run across the cockiest of cocky with plumbers, and 9 out of 10 times, their **it certainly does stink, and not like roses as per their idea of the stink :lol: I'm dealing with one right now actually.

BAYMAC said:
OH working with a cocky worker SUCKS, I know that all too well. Every job I have had I have had to deal with that. Long term, I always break through to them, short term, not so good.

FWIW I run across the cockiest of cocky with plumbers, and 9 out of 10 times, their **it certainly does stink, and not like roses as per their idea of the stink :lol: I'm dealing with one right now actually.

Yeah, we're dealing with the same thing at work regarding contract work that was done to our office. =/

Well the tank stand is finished, minus a good coat of white paint! The inside of the stand was sealed with shower hardy board, shower caulk and a coat of white silicone based paint. So it's build to take water without damaging the surrounding walls and house structure. More picts to come.. but here's the outside wood work.

8271216703_11d057fbb7_z.jpg

8271216841_c3b870144b_z.jpg

8272284248_6f94b0eb3b_z.jpg

Here's some updated picts. And before you guys say something :) The guys are coming back to adjust the doors so I have no light leaks. The sump is due into my LFS tomorrow. Then plumbing... and maybe an extra structural support under the floor.. running load calculations again as a precaution.

8316493914_fe1442200a_z.jpg

8316494230_4842d9f7c9_z.jpg

8316494574_4bd8934922_z.jpg

8315441233_0621d9b30c_z.jpg

8315440565_31c5fa3798_z.jpg

looking awesome. Love how the light, with now water in the tank, makes it glow.

What inline fan did you go with? Is it hooked up to the controller we see in the pic? Thermostat, or humidistat?

The fan is the Elicent 6" inline fan
http://sunlightsupply.com/p-11553-elicent-inline-fans.aspx

The controller is just a temp control, but it has a daytime and night time setting.
http://www.aquaserene.com/store/products.php?1773&cPath=2

1773_1678_tmp-dne-600.jpg

11553.png

Ahh, I use Elicents 4" for mine :) Nothing but the best. Funny that SLS has them on their site given they have their own in-house brand (not in the same league as Elicents)

I use a similar controller, but with no night/day option. I simply plugged mine into the times for my actinics which stayed on an hour extra than the halides

Back