Reef nutrition

Any ATO doser pump recommendations?

rygh

BOD
BOD
My peristaltic doser pump died. :(
The BRS 50 ml/h one.
I checked, and it was 1.5 years old.
So not too bad, but not sure I want to buy the same one either.

Key issues:
I need a pump that can handle an 8 foot head, for the ATO line. So a little rio will not work.
It needs to pump about 3 gallons per day. Which pushes the limit on a lot of doser pumps.

Any recommendations?
Anyone try using an RV diaphragm pump?

Mark - Have you checked out the Reef Angel ATO pump? I'm pretty sure it would meed the volume requirement but not sure on the head height.

http://www.reefangel.com/productview.aspx?p=atopump

~Charlie

Piper said:
Mark - Have you checked out the Reef Angel ATO pump? I'm pretty sure it would meed the volume requirement but not sure on the head height.

http://www.reefangel.com/productview.aspx?p=atopump

~Charlie

Interesting. Thanks!
Good flow rate.
Head will be fine with any peristaltic pump.
But 12V means some relay tweaks. Hmmm.

Double check on the 12v deal. I think I remember reading that Roberto includes an inverter with the pump. I know his normal two-part dosers come with wall-warts.

~Charlie

How much volume will you need to top off? Peristaltic pumps can work pretty damn awesome for smaller amounts, doubly so because you can actually add a second level of "whoops too much water" security by putting a float valve on the end and having a tee go back to your water reservoir since they don't pump too much pressure.

Not sure if they could do an 8 foot head though.

Piper said:
Double check on the 12v deal. I think I remember reading that Roberto includes an inverter with the pump. I know his normal two-part dosers come with wall-warts.

~Charlie
Ok. I have plenty of little wall warts lying around anyway.

sfsuphysics said:
How much volume will you need to top off? Peristaltic pumps can work pretty damn awesome for smaller amounts, doubly so because you can actually add a second level of "whoops too much water" security by putting a float valve on the end and having a tee go back to your water reservoir since they don't pump too much pressure.

most peris can achieve a decent head. My Cole Palmers can do like 25' with out blinking. We also have peris here at work that use 3/4" ID tubing, they move a TON of water ;)

sfsuphysics said:

I need 3 gallons per day.
At 300 ml/min for that pump,
that is 4.7 gallons per hour.
So I would need to run it a bit less than an hour per day. Should be ok.

At 8 feet, it is roughly 18 psi, which should be easy for most pumps of that type.

I got a few for $75 off eBay, but I haven't looked in a looong time. I got some off Lab-X at one time as well.

I scored on one, it came with 6 new heads that accept the size I want, so I can just buy motors now.

BAYMAC said:
I got a few for $75 off eBay, but I haven't looked in a looong time. I got some off Lab-X at one time as well.

I scored on one, it came with 6 new heads that accept the size I want, so I can just buy motors now.

Nice!
The ones on Ebay I was looking at were about $190. Seemed lightly used.
New is insane.

Just as a note, I am also thinking of no pump at all.

I could get a separate RODI just for the ATO.
Then a small 12V controlled valve, controlled by water level.
And a float valve of course, as backup.

Cost is not that different.
I buy membranes/etc all the time, so the only real extra
is the plastic parts of the RODI.
The valves are < $20.

Just as a final note:

I put in an order for the Reef Angel pump.
Good flow, low cost, supports a local reefer.

Plus, I have some plans going on an automatic salt water change system, so
it might be temporary anyway.

PS: I hate PayPal : I ran into some overall limit, which they would only bump up
if I linked to my bank account or gave my SSN. Forget that. Fortunately, it is easy
to add a new "basic" account.

Cool. Let us know how it works out for you. I've been thinking about the RA water level add-on with that pump when I have extra fish money burning a hole in my pocket.

~Charlie

sfboarders said:
Doesn't Roberto usually stock that stuff at home? He's only a couple exits from you. :)

Yes, he is local, in fact I have been to his place.
But I get home late, and did not really want to impose.

Piper said:
Cool. Let us know how it works out for you. I've been thinking about the RA water level add-on with that pump when I have extra fish money burning a hole in my pocket.

~Charlie

I have the RA ATO pump hooked up and running.
It really cranks!
That can be a good thing or a bad thing.
It pumps the water really well. But because of the speed, it is not exactly quiet.
A can slightly hear it through the garage wall. Fine for me, but don't run it in your bedroom.

It does come with a small wall wart power supply. So you can do either 12V or normal AC.

Important : It expects 3/8 tubing, not 1/4.

The tubing quality looks quite good.
The pump quality looks low cost but not bad. And hey - it was low cost.

At any rate, overall, I am happy with it.

Holy moly! 3 gallons a day?!!!

I love my Spectrapure Ultimate top off thing. Expensive as all heck, but awesome.

3 gallons/day is a lot. Tell your fish to quit drinking so much! Or pee more!

V

Back