got ethical husbandry?

HELP! Jay's TBD tank thread! (planning phase)

Hey everyone, well now that life has settled with the baby and universe is once again aligned in my world so it's time to get back into reefing (on a very small scale!)

My son (now almost 3!) has become very interested in fish, corals and the like and it's the perfect excuse to get back into something I miss very dearly!

However, I need some help please! I've been out of it for a couple years now and could use some of the veterans advice when it comes to equipment selection. It appears LED's have really taken over and I know little about them as far as wattage, depth, coverage, etc...

I plan to do mostly LPS, and softies with maybe a monti cap or two, no serious SPS. I'm going for a medium to medium-low maintenance tank to avoid my the same pitfalls on my last reefing adventure as life can still get quite busy at times.

For a tank, the wife and I both like the Innovative Marine 30G.
http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/micro30-black-stands.html
I figure I can save a couple hundred bucks and build the stand myself.

I have a heater, power heads, RKL, and all that jazz from my previous tanks and I'm really just stuck on choosing a light and/or a different but similarly sized tank if someone convinces me otherwise.

Thanks anyone and glad to be back. Time to try and start catching up on everything I missed.

-Jay

Don't do it man!!!!

But ahem, as far as lighting, for a cube if I don't care about dimming and moonlight hours and all that jazz I'd do something like a Kesill 350, it's a little more expensive than the 150 model but you can tune the white and blue independently so you can get the color blend that you want.

Tank, don't know much about those all in one "cubes" but hey get yourself a talking point focal of the room and that one looks like it works. Also won't have to deal with a sump or any of that garbage with something like that, also means no skimmer to deal with (which could be good or bad). However there are a few manufacturers that have that rimless design that turns a lot of people on, can't think of any off the top of my ahead but it might be worth some investigation.

BTW, my wife hates that grabby tool you gave me, I don't use it on the tank, I use it to terrorize her on the couch :D

My suggestion for lighting would be an A350 as well. Other than that, I think you should be good to go. I don't really know but maybe there are skimmers that you can fit in there if you need to.

I like the Kessil A350 too. A narrow would be best for a cube that size I think. That might be more light than you really need for LPS and softies though.

Welcome back. I was up in S Rosa a few weeks ago, wanting to stop by to buy some beers for a friend and the line at RR Brewery was blocks long. I guess it was the release date of Pliny the Younger or something similar.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

From what I can tell, the Kessil seems to be the hot product now a days. Would it be overkill in this small tank? I'm worried it might be to much and I would have to hang it really high. Any concern there? The only SPS I plan on keeping is maybe a monti cap or two.

Erin, thanks for the tip, I will definitely be doing that. I've taken up woodworking in the last year and am pretty excited to put some of the skills I've learned to use on a stand.

Mike, I thought you'd be torturing the cats with it, not your wife!

Steve, the Pliny the Younger release is a really big deal! I'm yet to try it.

The Kessil 350 you can tune each channels intensity so if you feel it's too much you can tune it down, you can't do that with their 150 model it's all or nothing. You don't necessarily need to hang it too high though. Although if you feel it's too much go with the 150 model, although you better make sure you get the color that you want :D

Also the cats move too fast, the wife doesn't.

Back