Kessil

BAYMAC 2013 cancelled - no plans on resurrecting BAYMAC either

Hello fellow Bay Area Reefers,

I regret to inform you that BAYMAC will not happen this year, or any future years, 2011 was the last BAYMAC I will put on.

Another internationally recognized promoter is looking at doing an event in the Bay Area next year (probably in March) so cross your fingers that he decides to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your support and keep on reefing

BAYMAC

That SUCKS!!! For having as many reefers as Nor-Cal has we have no really cool events like this at all. But go down south and BAM one every other year. We need our own. Why should everyone else have all the fun. Just venting.

On a side note:: MARS is still intrested in a joint club event

Borchers said:
That SUCKS!!! For having as many reefers as Nor-Cal has we have no really cool events like this at all. But go down south and BAM one every other year. We need our own. Why should everyone else have all the fun. Just venting.

Well ... organize it... ;)
The vendors are likely still interested. The people will certainly show up.
Not sure about BAYMAC, but with other shows, the problem is that it is a endless nightmare of a job organizing it.
And it is largely thankless job, and certainly not profitable.
Vendors all want something special. Volunteers may or may not show. Presenters want their special
brand of cool aid. Cops shut you down because you did not get the special permit. Landlord
decides to lock the bathrooms....
Ok - those might not all be issues with Baymac. But fun stuff.

rygh said:
Borchers said:

Well ... organize it... ;)
The vendors are likely still interested. The people will certainly show up.
Not sure about BAYMAC, but with other shows, the problem is that it is a endless nightmare of a job organizing it.
And it is largely thankless job, and certainly not profitable.
Vendors all want something special. Volunteers may or may not show. Presenters want their special
brand of cool aid. Cops shut you down because you did not get the special permit. Landlord
decides to lock the bathrooms....
Ok - those might not all be issues with Baymac. But fun stuff.

99% of what you said has not applied to BAYMAC. The "lot of work" and sinking money into it with little coming out, yah, but every speaker and nearly all the vendors have been a pleasure to work with. Venues have been awesome, volunteers knocked it out of the park, no cop or permit issued and lotsa bathrooms.

I spent a decade doing event production, and as vendor I get to see what oaks and what doesn't.

Borchers said:

Revive the WMC - western marine conference. MARS hosted it once as did SEABAY.

sfsuphysics said:
rygh said:
Landlord decides to lock the bathrooms.....

man what event did you go to? :D
Big bachelor party. But the organizer (not me) lied about what it would be, and the owner of
the place was rather (rightly) pissed.
Fun memories....
Edit : Ok ... honestly ... really not so fun. In fact it was pretty lame. To many nerdy guys.
I think the most exciting part was getting kicked out.
:party:

Back