Kessil

Purple/ Blue Chalice Sponge

I got a frag of this about 1 year ago from Matt at Reefready (http://reefready.net/rr2/ go to Collector Frags, Page 14 for info) and it's grown 4 times its' original size. It's grown well near the bottom of my tank- it grows mostly flat and then curves upwards like a cup. I have had it out of water without any problems. This frag is best suited for a tank that has success with clams, sponges or other corals that thrive in 'dirty' water (i.e. skimmerless). Pick a # between 1-20.

Requirements:
- Have good clam and/or sponge growth in your tank
- Must be at BAR Coral Swap for pickup
- Skimmerless a plus
- Positive DBTC Karma or given more than 10 frags

I would love to get a piece of this sponge--I've saw this in Matt's tank and have been kicking myself for not getting it. I have really good sponge growth in my tank (I can try to take some pics of them to verify this if you like). I run a crappy skimmer but its really not pulling much out. I have given away tons of stuff but not all of it on DBTC.

Thanks,
Patrick

I guess great minds think alike......I am also trying to find a good home for some of the same sponge until i get out there......reef talk forum.......I have had mine for maybe a little longer and it is growing at the top of my tank under 250's.....and has more of a plating growth........I dont want to step on any toes or anything but i can tell you I have seen this sponge grow in completely nutrient free heavily skimmed sps tanks.........It is supposed to be a totally photosynthetic sponge.....I can add that the one thing that i have found that causes problems with this sponge is chemi clean......used it once to get rid of cyano.......and lost the whole colony with in 2 days.......it came back from unseen tissue... A month or so ago I used it again and the colony started to bleach out again........did a water change the next day and it survived. So beware.......just my experience

Frag goes to Saltwatersig. Patrick- check with me in a couple months and I should be able to make another frag for you.
desertreefer- no toes stepped on here :D good info about Chemiclean.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I just have a quick question. Is this thing photosynthetic? I got a frag directly from Matt about couple of months ago. Since I ran out of room, I put it under two levels of frag racks (one rack is black) and forgot about it. I just went checking, it seems to get bigger with very little light.

I fragged this up about a week ago and they are all growing out well. They even grew back together. They attach to each other almost overnight. Two frags available for pick up at the January meeting or here in Berkeley.

Back