High Tide Aquatics

thinking about giving a cold water a whirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the post says I'm in the process of researching keeping cold water fish. Specifically, I'd like to keep deep water rock fish. Any reading anyone can send my way? Thinking a yelloweye pair. Pretty familiar with these and had a single specific question. How in the hell do I mimic the deep water these fish live in? I'm gonna start with below 40F and at least a 120, just for the 2. I will have to catch the fish (easy). live prey, like a lion. These live to be 100+ in the wild and have a smaller territory than most others. The concern is that they live in 175' +. Any help would be appreciated. I have lots of spare time, and refuse to use a chiller...more of a challenge. Anyone else get to thinking and do less sleeping?

I actually thought of converting my main display into a temperate system down the line also. Give Stu and Josh a shout at www.coldwatermarine.com (great guys). I thought of bringing them down for a future talk since they are in Oregon. Maybe that's something the club can do at a future date.

FYI possession of yelloweye rockfish is not legal in California. I think you would have a hard time getting one to survive the barotrauma anyway. Personally, I think the coolest local fish to keep would be the painted greenling. Catalina goby would be a nice addition as well. And strawberry anemones are always nice. They're actually corallimorphs like mushroom anemones. I can't imagine how it would be possible to do this without a chiller though. Unless you intended to build your own?

Same to everything just posted. How do you bring it up safely? Is it legal to catch or own them? And how the f can you do it with no chiller?

You would need to catch one in shallow water and bring it up real slow to avoid N bubbles. Not legal to catch,target , remove from the water, and especially transport. No chiller would mean lots of ice, maybe even a daily 'iceberg'. Greenling are awesome, good idea. They would be a heartier choice for sure.

The yelloweye rockfish is so rare in California, that is effectively a statewide limit on the number of yelloweyes seen by fishermen. If you must experiment with rockfish, I would implore you to try a different one. To be honest, I don't think any rockfish is a good idea in a 120. Even the smallest can reach a foot long, and many can reach three feet. Plus many of them have the unfortunate habit of eating each other, or anything else small enough to fit in their mouths.

Um, if it is for testing, can't you just go to the beach around pillar point in HMB and try to catch those baby rock fish close to the shore in the rocky areas using a net? I know some kids have fun in doing that with their parents. As long as they don't do it in the Marine Fiztgerald reserve, I think it's legal. I saw a lot of those baby fish (the size of a nickel or dime swimming around in the sand area. If this is illegal, please let me know, but I saw a lot of folks doing that for fun.

I tend to doubt that ice would be a feasible or stable long term solution to keeping a temperate tank. You'd really need a chiller to do this right.

yelloweye may reach 3 feet long, in very cold water, and after over 150 years of aging, in the wild, in perfect conditions. they are not legal to keep, catch, target, talk about, or contain in a fish tank. yelloweye are a very unique fish. i may have to take the boat out, catch a pair, and just give results. sounds as though im in my own boat on this one... its really really easy to catch a pair. they will be caught in the same 20 square feet without fail. 15 year old yelloweye are a foot long....in the wild...

A chiller would be ideal, and kessils, and a 5000 gallon with a 10k square foot house. ballin on a budget here. and i like the challenge. please help with the pressure concern, ill do the rest.

This thread has been locked due to discussion of potentially illegal activities. This completely goes against BAR's mission as we do not encourage any illegal activities so please respect it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back