Kessil

Leemar Starphire 290

I remember seeing your thread on RC and I was stoked to see you were in the Bay Area. Awesome tank and glad to see that you're on here too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks much, that is very nice of you. I am a fan of your freshwater tanks. Very cool. It will be fun seeing what you come up with in the salt arena.

wow - kept its color well. Grown a bunch too. I like how the purple is coming on the tips. See I told it would do better in your tank.

wow - kept its color well. Grown a bunch too. I like how the purple is coming on the tips. See I told it would do better in your tank.

It's doing well Arnold, but don't you remember me drooling all over your tank when I saw it?? Looked insane! I'm just glad it's holding it's color. It's really beautiful.

So here is a video of the new starfish and Moray. I am very excited about them both. Very active and fun. I also added a harptail blenny that managed to survive several days of attack from the starry blenny. It is now doing very well, and swimming with the rest of the fish. Enjoy the video........turn down the volume. Something happened when I was editing. Trying to figure it out. Thx.

+100!

Are you shooting the video from inside the tank? Whatever you are doing, it's fantastic.

Thanks John, just using my camcorder. Shading the kessils has reduced the glare a LOT. Seems to make the video's a little nicer.......better color, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very cool! Your tank is incredible Kris. Definitely raises the BAR!;) It is nice to see so many different kinds of fish kept together, as this is my goal.
What does the moray eat? I always thought they would eat my fish?
John

Very cool! Your tank is incredible Kris. Definitely raises the BAR!;) It is nice to see so many different kinds of fish kept together, as this is my goal.
What does the moray eat? I always thought they would eat my fish?
John

Thanks John, I appreciate that. You have quite an amazing project of your own started up. Gonna be great.

I figured the Eels would eat fish as well. I had a snowflake Moray for about 7 or 8 years. It was about 24" when I gave it away and a good 2.5-3" around. Never once bothered a fish. Even the small ones. In fact the fish almost taunt the Eels. They flare up and turn sideways to look bigger, but they do it on purpose. The Eel is not going after them, they just swim right up to it's face and even touch the Eel. Not sure what that is about, but it's pretty funny. Eels have poor eyesight, but amazing smell. They are out searching for food as soon as you drop it in the tank, but you can drop a piece of krill right in front of them and they won't see it. My snowflake could sniff it out eventually, but I usually fed with tongs to make sure it got enough.

The new dwarf is so tiny. My smallest fish is my neon dotty back, and the Eel's head is 1/3 the size of the dotty back. The shrimp are also much bigger. Not too concerned about it getting too aggressive. I will be keeping it well fed as well, and I am sure that helps. I feed the little one krill........if the piece is large, I hold it with the tweezers and let it rip off little pieces.....mysis are difficult to feed with tweezers, so I use the turkey baster.....get it close to the tip, and it will pull them out. I really missed having an Eel, so I am very happy to have a new one. I was worried about it breaking corals, and that will always be a concern as it grows. So far, it's been very gentle swimming among the rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My roomate and I, in college, had a california Moray. About 3-4 feet long and as thick as my arm. It couldn't find food in the tank. Our theory was the smell filled the tank and it was like in a fish odor blizzard. :)

I think it was a little bigger than yours. :) We hand fed it whole grunion. Always a party fav!

My roomate and I, in college, had a california Moray. About 3-4 feet long and as thick as my arm. It couldn't find food in the tank. Our theory was the smell filled the tank and it was like in a fish odor blizzard. :)

I think it was a little bigger than yours. :) We hand fed it whole grunion. Always a party fav!

LOL! That is a big Eel! My snowflake managed to bite me a few times, and as it got bigger and IT HURT. I don't think I would risk getting anything bigger. Ha! Everyone loves watching an eel eat.

So I did a big water change yesterday and cleaned up the tank a bit. I got motivated and decided to take a video. The tank has changed SO much in the past 4-5 months since my last big video. I am very excited about this one. The tank turns 2 years old officially in a couple weeks. Woo HOO! Time flies for sure. Anyway, I hope you enjoy. Thanks.

Oh, and it likely won't play on mobile devices. I uploaded at the highest definition that I could, and that happens sometimes. Sorry.

Reactions: JAR
Bah, who cares about mobile devices, I got a 23" wide monitor so I can see stuff big! :D

Video really makes me want to get a mimic lemon peel tang though :D

Bah, who cares about mobile devices, I got a 23" wide monitor so I can see stuff big! :D

Video really makes me want to get a mimic lemon peel tang though :D

I hear ya, that tang is is beautiful! It's been SO fun watching it change color over the years. It was bright yellow when I got it.

Back