Jestersix

Mike's Machination

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Well time has come, my 180g tank has been vacated of inhabitants... that I want to keep (aiptasia, brown polyps, and hydroids on rocks can stay)

Here it is in all it's neglected beauty, coraline on the acrylic, along with diatom algae, needless to say it makes it look quite ... yellow. The last two fish inhabitants in the back a yellow tang which is maybe 6 inches round and a foxface which is perhaps 7 inches long, both are quite fat and happy. This is what they called home. It was a fun sized tank, 4 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 2 feet high, that depth is amazing for aquascaping (not that this picture shows it)
61i5.jpg

Here's a picture about 3.5 years ago.
fts18020090824.jpg

And another picture 8 months after that... damn I had a knack for growing coral!
ftsapr202010.jpg

But those pictures make me sad, seeing what i had and eventually lost. I even see my Tomini tang in the picture which was recently lost due to the the "fish incident"

Only last picture of my anemone tank, this is the day after I took the lights off, since they didn't open up completely it was really easy to count. Who wants to guess how many are in there? Hint: It rhymes with hurty fun :D I'm still sans clownfish too, so haven't quite decided on what to do with them, I know couple have expressed interest :D
04hl.jpg

Well this was not a thread about remembering, this was a thread about my mad plans! Why did I even remove everything? Well because I need to remove everything from the room! Already did a bunch with the drywall around the edges, now I need to yank the floor up. Then I need to put down a new floor, and this will be done in steps, the room is approximately 25 feet by 15 feet, so I'll get a little over half of it done, then when the true Machination gets set up, everything will move to that, and I can finish the other half of the room.

So here is the baby machination, a tri-tank system.

BTW, sorry for the picture quality upon closer inspection, seems the flash bounced off corners and didn't get back to the camera.
ik3i.jpg

Setting it up wasn't fun, I'm finding out how old I am by how I feel when I take a 15 minute break and don't want to go back to work.

The main tank which was my "OMG I need to save my coral" tank, is my old "Mikemar" retrofit 32" x 24" x 24", has my custom built LED fixture above it, there is currently one fish in there, it's corals though.

The one on the bottom is a 48" x 14" x 20" tank (60g) which houses the foxface and the yellow tang, lets just say they're not too happy about it, they're in 1/3 the tank space that they used to have. Anyone who's ever moved from a house to an apartment probably knows how this feels. I have a couple corals in there, stuff that won't fit in the other tank, and I'll eventually bring to the frag swap.

The last tank is the same anemone tank, I simply moved it as it was. I removed the water, then lifted it into position then put the water back in, with my luck the anemones will split and I'll have twice as many.

The wiring is ugly as all hell, but I made sure it was partially safe, with no chance for wires to fall into the water, or me grabbing them as handholds. It's ugly but it works and is good enough for the time being. The plumbing wasn't much more fun. I had to change out sumps because in the case of a power outage I was worried the water flow from three tanks draining even an inch would be too much. What I did is had the return split between the coral tank and the anemone tank, and the drain from the coral tank goes directly into the bottom tank, which then overflows into the sump (the drain for that tank is over 2x larger). Overall it's a nasty mess... but it works for now and I'll deal with it. I am a bit worried at how much the bottom tank bulges out though, not sure if I should or not, it's TruVu tank and the bracing is still on it... I'm just hoping it TruVu didn't make terrariums and that's what this tank is! I originally got it from Bryan who used it as a sump/frag tank, but he only had it filled about 1/3 the way.

So what's next? Well you'll have to wait and see. I'm hoping to have it setup within 3 months... we'll have to see if I can get that time table done. Unfortunately school starts up tomorrow, but I'm teaching only night classes which is great because I only see each class once a week so prepping/grading for each class can be done fairly easily. I'm not 100% sold on the direction I'm going with the real machination, but I'll ask for opinions/help when I get to that step... first step is demolition, then it's construction :D

P.S. Anyone in need of a 180g tank? Nice sized tank (see pictures above), external coast to coast overflow, you can even have the stand (which is functional grade not furniture grade). It does need some elbow grease to get the coraline off and sand out any small scratches, but it holds water and isn't cracked anywhere. $200 and it's yours! That's almost as good as Petco's buck-a-gallon sale! (Although good luck funding a tank this size for that price there!) You need a truck though or SUV though, it only partially fits in my Prius

Wow, what an amazing tank Mike! I'm sorry I didn't get to see that in person. I can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Got some work done, I fully expect to be out of commission for a week at least just due to back pain. I don't feel anything now but I'm sure I'll feel it later, it's ok Super Bowl is Sunday, I'll have something to do while on the couch.

794m.jpg

I'm half as tempted to go down further and just build directly on the slab. However 1) not sure if those floor joists are providing tension on the sides of the house, and 2) I'm worried the concrete might suck the heat out of the tank. Oh yeah... I'm not certain the concrete slab is level, natural slope for liquid I think, not sure how you'd put tiles on that though.

Last edited:
Actually next Saturday is one of those big "junk it" days in SF where they'll take all sorts of bulky items and crap like this. Now I just need to see if I can get a truck big enough to haul it all.

Looking good, Mike. Is that O2 or CO2 over by the door? :D Just looking at the pic makes my back hurt!

I don't think I've ever seen joists done like that. Unusual cross bracing. Any chance this was originally done in the 60's? :cool:

This was originally a garage? If so, the walls should not depend on the joists for any structure. The slab should be sloped toward the street/garage door. You don't want to build on the slope, all the water would be crooked! The floor would have to be leveled. This could be done either by adding concrete or using tapered 'sleepers' that a subfloor would be attached to. Either way, this is a lot of work and $$. After that demo I'm guessing you'd like to avoid both. ;)

Arnold: They sent a letter out, it states it's for 4 districts. Here's a webpage with the info
http://www.sfdpw.org/index.aspx?page=1292

Lapsan: Shaddup.

John: CO2, Jeremy gave it to me way back in the day, never used it though.. It's not really that heavy ... since it's empty :)

Yeah the cross bracing at angles is odd. Not sure when it was done, the house is listed as being built in '55. I'm fairly sure this wasn't done when the house was built, it was added later as an in-law unit for the lady who used to live here 4 decades earlier. The wall to the right of the picture is built directly on the subfloor, however I'm fairly sure that it's not load bearing because there's a huge 8x8 post holding a beam 6 inches on the other side of the wall, makes me wonder how open the floor plan was down there.

It looks like there is lots of wood in contact with the concrete. Any rot issues? I can't tell from the pic, is it vented?

The more I look at it the more I wonder what issues the builder was trying to solve by the odd angles. That beam sorta in the middle and sorta parallel to the cross bracing - what's up with that? :)

Strangely enough, no rot issues, I thought that may have been an issue too considering the age of the place. The part where my tank was and had a fair share of spills/etc (right corner of picture) you can see the wood is a bit blackened but doesn't look moldy, just I dunno.

The odd angles is just what was done, if I had to make a guess this wasn't a "professional" the age old adage of "I can swing a hammer how hard can it be" was very prevalent in the Italian culture that was around here :D Only thing I could possibly think is that when the cross bracing is at an angle it'd be easier for you to nail into it *shrug* I don't know what's up with any of it. I actually wasn't expecting much of this actually, I was prepared to have to put cross bracing in myself all over the place and pressure treated boards under for support considering how much bounce there is on the other side of the floor (wonder if the wood bracing is rotted on that side)

Extra bracing wouldn't hurt. Also more support under the new, giant, floor crushing tank! ;) Since it's all open, this is your chance to improve it.

It's got the look like 'we have this wood, cut up like this all funny, let's see if we can frame a floor.' Probably shouldn't make fun of the job. It's held up for quite some time, I suspect.

I'm not sure wood rots with the occasional wetting. I do worry about hardware, nails, screws etc. in the saltwater.

Back