Kessil

Apex cleaning help....

So I just picked up a Apex Lite yesterday for a decent price but one of the downfalls of being so excited was "ignoring" something. Looks like the metal connector that comes out of the brain (ph port) is corroded and a little rusty. I emailed Neptune and they said said to check to see if it is working first because it's a costly repair ranging from $85-$135 depending if there is water damage or not. Too bad I don't have ph probe. Anyways has one here here dealt with corroded parts?

I've read corrosion can be cleaned with vinegar and or 99% isopropyl alcohol. I'm gonna post a before and after picture, do the procedure and update everyone just in case this has happened or will happen to someone.

Did you buy it new? Or did you get it second hand?
I know you said it's corroded and a little rusty, but how badly is it?

You should be OK if it's not completely corroded.

I got it used off craigslist, yeah I think I should be okay too but I just wanted to replace it just for piece of mind. Here are some before and after pictures. Hope this helps someone out there...

I took the unit apart to see how deep the corrosion and rust went, luckily it did not reach far. I used 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and distilled white vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is suppose to be better but I already have a big o jug of the white one. Used about a million cotton swabs and rolled up some aluminum foil to serve as sand paper. Worked really really really good. Here are the pics.
IMAG2332.jpg
IMAG2334.jpg
IMAG2335.jpg

Almost brand new now!
IMAG2336.jpg
IMAG2336.jpg
IMAG2338.jpg
IMAG2339.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2332.jpg
    IMAG2332.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG2337.jpg
    IMAG2337.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 214
What a big difference! Nice job! BTW when are you going to make a journal on your tank? Ive got a ADA 60p and would love to see your set up :D

Looks pretty good... did you use a metal brush to clean it as well?
no metal brush just a old toothbrush.

Got my ph probe from BRS and it plugged in nicely now to calibrate and setup the apex...looks very intimidating...

no metal brush just a old toothbrush.

Got my ph probe from BRS and it plugged in nicely now to calibrate and setup the apex...looks very intimidating...
Lots of people willing to help here. Also, we may have an event very soon that may benefit you all in the coming months. :)

Back