High Tide Aquatics

Just want to say Hi

Hello everyone. Just wanted to swing in and say hi. I currently have two small freshwater tanks and really want to dive into the saltwater reef tank thing. Talk about information overload. I have purchased books visited LFS and scoured tons of forums. I wish I found this place in time to go to the Chabot College get together.

Well I am looking into buying a used in service reef tank of craigslist or something and upgrading it from there. Something 55 gallons or larger. I think I have found one in Sna Jose (I am located in San Mateo) but I am scared to death of trying to transport a 75 gallon tank and all the live fish ect. If someone wouldn't mind commenting on the setup I am thinking about buying I would appreciate it.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/4416833249.html

Thanks in advance and I look forward to joining this community.

Eric

Welcome! My suggestion would be to start your own reef. It would be. Then you can choose everything that goes in it.

For the price I dont see how I could go wrong but I have gone wrong many times before. Roughly speaking about 500 bucks for everything and comes with a RO filter system as well. I dont think I could source the rock sand tank skimmer sump, light, heaters powerheads ct for that price.

Starting used is cheaper but sadly, you never really know what you are getting. I started with used everything and it has been a nightmare. The bulbs are always "I bought them a few months ago" and burn out, or a return pump fails, skimmer impeller is busted, ro unit needs new filters or media (or like me, the damn thing wasn't even assembled right and I was making tank water from the waste line). It may take you an extra 3 months and hundreds of dollars more to start new but you will have a few months to relax without everything breaking down on a weekly basis.

I didn't look at the listing, just my personal experience with buying used equipment. I don't think I have a single piece of equipment now that I did when I started and it's not from voluntary upgrades, they were emergency replacements. If it wasn't for the kind people who loaned me equipment on short notice, my tank would have crashed and I would have quit.

Welcome!

There are a lot of people who will agree with me: If you're going to setup a tank, it's better to pay for what you want, not just what you need. I've lost myself a lot of money not paying attention to that mantra.

Oh, and be sure you really want a bowfront!

I can see buying a used tank stand and sump. Invest in new pumps, skimmer and lighting. I will be cheaper in the long run. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will start looking for a tank with stand and sump. If anyone has any leads on a decent priced tank sump ect I am more than willing ot send a case of beer your way.

Thanks,

Eric

Took a look at the craigslist post. If you look at it more like buying a light fixture, tank, sand, rock, skimmer, and sump then it might be an OK deal. I didn't actually see the RO/DI unit listed in the description.

Just remember you are probably going to need to replace at minimum: All the filters in the RO/DI (+/- $60).
All the light bulbs (+/-$120). You may want to consider replacing the return pump ($150) and the skimmer ($250+). I'd replace the heater no matter what ($75). If you do all that then your used tank just went from $500 to $1200.

I think the craziness of tearing down, transporting, and setting a tank back up in a day is probably daunting, especially for someone new. I'd recomend that you set up a 20 gallon hospital tank (tank, heater, filter - $50 - $75) up now and plan to move the fish and corals into there when you get home. That will give you some time to set up the tank and get it running before you move stuff over. You'll probably create an ammonia spike from moving the tank and disturbing everything, so the fish shouldn't go back into the tank straight away.

Took a look at the craigslist post. If you look at it more like buying a light fixture, tank, sand, rock, skimmer, and sump then it might be an OK deal. I didn't actually see the RO/DI unit listed in the description.

Just remember you are probably going to need to replace at minimum: All the filters in the RO/DI (+/- $60).
All the light bulbs (+/-$120). You may want to consider replacing the return pump ($150) and the skimmer ($250+). I'd replace the heater no matter what ($75). If you do all that then your used tank just went from $500 to $1200.

I think the craziness of tearing down, transporting, and setting a tank back up in a day is probably daunting, especially for someone new. I'd recomend that you set up a 20 gallon hospital tank (tank, heater, filter - $50 - $75) up now and plan to move the fish and corals into there when you get home. That will give you some time to set up the tank and get it running before you move stuff over. You'll probably create an ammonia spike from moving the tank and disturbing everything, so the fish shouldn't go back into the tank straight away.

Thanks for the detailed responce. I am going to just look for used tank and sump. From there you guys are now on the hook for helping me design everything ;-)

Blu is right on. It's so hard to move a system you don't know. There can be great deals but you need to know how to evaluate them.

Houses have appraisers, boats have appraisers. I don't think there are specialized appraisers for things fishie. :)

Thanks again everyone.

So I found another setup. 55 Gallon Tru View Plexi.

Has a brand new red sea berlin 250 gallon rated hang on skimmer never used. 30 gal sup with bio balls and a brand new pump. It is hared plumbed for the power heads. Not sure If I am explaining that correctly or not. All for 380. Will also come with hospital tank and some supplies. From their I would have to plumb and get new Keiser lighting. What do you guys think about that setup?

The skimmer is a hang on right now. Is there any easy way to convert to a sump skimmer?

Back