Kessil

HELP! Tank has a slow leak

I think one of my worst fears has come true. My 40g tank appears to have a slow leak. I don't have a stand for this tank so it sits on the ground. The room with the tank started smelling really musty and I discovered that it seems to be leaking and soaking the carpet.

I've been meaning to set up the ELOS 120 that I have but just haven't had time. This may force my hand. However, the stand that I got the ELOS with doesn't seem to be the right size. The tank seems to be slightly bigger than the stand itself. Below are a few pics to help show you what I mean:

What do you guys think? I'm pretty nervous to set up the tank with this stand.

My quick solution may be to just get a 20g tank as a temporary tank while I get a new stand built for the ELOS.

I have a 20 long tank in my garage if you want to borrow it. I used it as a quarantine tank a few months ago. I'm in SF.

My 2o gallon tank hangs over the edges of my base (on purpose), but I don't think I'd be so cavalier with 90 gallons. I'd screw a 1x4 or 2x4 to the back of your stand to provide a little extra support before you set the tank in place.

Thanks Philip. I was actually get a spare 20 gallon tank from my brother. Appreciate you reaching out to offer help though.

Also, thanks for the advice on the stand. It definitely makes me nervous to have the over hang of the tank. The 2x4 idea is a good one.

I wouldn't worry about the overhang with that stand for the simple fact that even if it didn't overhang there still will be zero support under that back it seems judging by those pictures.

Is that a type of stand that Elos actually builds for their tanks though? If it is, they great, their product and they know the engineering behind their tanks. However for me, seeing that there's no support under the bottom of the tank at all, I would not use that stand without slapping a sheet of plywood the size of the tank on top of that stand. There's a bit of a different between some "floating" glass bottoms on tanks which have that plastic/faux-wood bracing around the perimeter, where that tank the bottom of the tank looks to be flush with the edges where it sits on that stand, so I'd think you'd want to treat it more like an acrylic tank and have the entire bottom supported.

I have a 40g acrylic you're welcome to borrow, you can set it on the floor and use as a temporary tank, acrylic tends to be forgiving if not on a perfectly even surface. I have the stand too if you like...

I just finished using it as an "emergency holding tank" when my silicone seal decided to say bye bye, I figured I'd offer in case the 20 is too small and the 40g acrylic is super light compared to a glass tank therefore easy to transport.

The back of the tank is supported by the stand at the sides but not the entire back wall. It's a floating back. However, it does appear that your stand isn't the right one for your Elos 120.

If you line up the back of the tank to the back of the stand, the tank should create a ~1" overhang in the front...This is for the doors to the stand ;) Some people have suggested adding 2x4s under the stand for added support.

From the pictures, it looks like your stand may be upside down? The bottom should be open and the tank sits on a 'table' supported by two cross beams. The first picture makes it look like the tank is only supported on the left and right sides. If so and if that's how the tank has been stored - You're awfully daring! Take a step back and let's take a look at the stand as a whole - That should clear things up pretty fast.

Added a couple pics of my setup for your reference - Hope this helps!
Looks like you may flat out have the wrong stand or have the Elos stand incorrectly assembled.

Back