Kessil

[Aug 9, 2014] BAR Regional Frag Swap (Hayward, CA)

We can look forward to some awesome dry goods and livestock for the silent auction at the swap. Several of the club's sponsors have pledged/donated the stuff below. Stop by the silent auction table for a chance to take these home - all proceeds go towards BAR to hold more club events and hosting this forum.

Air, Water & Ice:
RO/DI filter replacement kit

Aqua Exotic:
JBJ Ocean Pulse Duo controllable wavemaker
JBJ True Temp heater controller

Diablo Corals:
Premium coral frags

jestersix Reefscaping:

Reefscaping supplies/kits

Kritter Tanks:
Custom fabricated 1' x 2' x 2' acrylic corner tank

Neptune Aquatics:
TBD

RapidLED:
DIY LED kit(s)

Rod's Food:
Multipack of various Rod's Food frozen blends

The list will be updated as new details emerge. Stay tuned!

We can look forward to some awesome dry goods and livestock for the silent auction at the swap. Several of the club's sponsors have pledged/donated the stuff below. Stop by the silent auction table for a chance to take these home - all proceeds go towards BAR to hold more club events and hosting this forum.

A wild David appears!

Thanks for the announcement, David!

I hope everyone is excited for the swap! Not only will you have the opportunity to go home with some nice new corals, but now you can score some great deals in our silent auction. Thanks to all our awesome sponsors for donating to the auction!

Just wanted to remind everyone to pay $10 in advance via Paypal for the frag swap; otherwise, it is a lot more! Even if you're not 100% sure whether you can be there, it isn't worth the risk!!

Please don't forget to bring your non-eligible coral frags or just frags you don't feel are swap-worthy for the table we'll have set up for that purpose!! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Any word on other clubs who have members who RSVP'd? Just curious how much of a regional swap this will be versus another club only swap.
I'm not sure since the treasurer is the one seeing the Paypal payments from other clubs. I do however know that I've been posting in the other clubs' Facebooks groups and I've been hearing from people that they plan to attend. So hopefully a good turn out from people beyond our membership. Also, we have posters and fliers advertising at all the local stores. And a craigslist add. So all of that should draw in non-members.

Can I bring two frags of the same kind?
Abso-freaking-lutely! Rules are you bring 3 strains that are not on the "do not bring" list and that's your official entry, much like I tell my students that is simply the minimum requirement (except with pages not frags :D), you can do more.

The way I look at it the more corals you bring, the more likely someone else is going to get one of your corals which means they're less likely to grab a coral you want. Now this doesn't mean you simply bring all your junk, hence the reason for the ineligible list, but trimming corals should be a part of everyone's maintenance.

Hi everyone! Just a reminder that the discounted swap registration fees for BAR members and members of other clubs are only available until this Tuesday at 11:59 pm. After that, late registration will be $25 for everyone. If you wait to pay at the door, the registration fee will be $30 for everyone. So hurry on over to Paypal and pay for your swap registration!

Regardless of how many corals you bring, everyone gets the same amount of picks. If everyone brings 3 corals, everyone would only get 3 picks (assuming no one leaves early, which does happen). In the past though the number of picks have been close to the 5-6 range than 3 range, which means on average everyone brings twice the minimum, now my observations do note that this isn't true at all but it works out this way because some bring way more than the minimum amount, and there have been times (long ago) where people have left with 8-9 corals.

It really goes to the mind set of those participating how well it pans out.

Silent auction items update! OP is also updated with the latest info.

jestersix Reefscaping: *update*
MagRock (for an overflow box)
MagFrag Triple
Seven Deadly FragRacks
ChaliceFlats
MiniDomes
PicoDomes

Neptune Aquatics: *update*
$50 gift certificate
Revive dip (to be rebottled and distributed for free to all participants)

RapidLED: *update*
Aurora Puck Kit: full spectrum 7-color LED fixture with 4 channels of control

Reef Angel:
1x Reef Angel Rope Leak Detector
1x Jebao DC3000 return pump

Aquatic Collection: *update*
TBA

Thanks again to all the generous sponsors for these prizes!

Last edited by a moderator:

The list will be updated as new details emerge. Stay tuned!

Could you or someone please explain how silent auction works? And a few questions:
  1. will a "minimum bid" be set for all items?
  2. is it cash only or ??
  3. what time is the cut-off period and what time will the winners be announced?
  4. do you have to be there to win?
  5. is there going to be a tank set up for live corals?
  6. do we need a volunteer(s) to handle this?
Thanks!

Basically it works via a clipboard with a piece of paper on it for each item, you write down your name and how much you bid. If someone wants to out bid you they put their name and a higher bid under you. If you want to out bid them, you do the same. They'll often take bids until a certain time, then collect the clipboards and whomever has the last bid down is the winner.

(I'll defer the other specific questions to someone else)

Back