Our mission

Local stores that carry or can order wrasses

I'm getting ready to start stocking my 65g tank and plan to do add a few wrasses that Zi haven't seen commonly stocked in the LFS around here.

Specifically I'll be looking for:

A Leopard wrasse of some sort
A Vrolik wrasse
A fairy wrasse (likely an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse)

Does any one have recommendations for LFSs to check out or work with? LiveAquaria has these fish but I'd love to see them in person first and also support a LFS.

Aquatic Collection seems like they might occasionally get something along these lines but I haven't seen too many. Aqua Exotic would've been my first choice since I liked Matt and he had previously said he could order fish special at a solid deal. I'm up in SF but willing to drive some.

Diablo or Neptune would be my first choices. You can ask AC,RR or All about fish but these 3 are normally more expensive than the first 2. FYI Leopard wrasse's are not the easiest to keep alive. You may go thru a couple before you get one to live for you.

Any recommendations for higher succes rates with Leopards? Adding first? Adding later once the pod population has been increased sufficiently?

I know a lot of struggles are based around stress from shipping so getting one that was already in someone's tank successfully (a la Craigslist) or at least is eating frozen in the LFS are steps towards success.

Aquarium concepts has some nice wrasses. I got a leopard from them and he was eating frozen and doing great until he decided to jump. I would have them order one and keep it on hold for a week to make sure it's healthy and eating before you take it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only recommendation I have is acclimate slowly and a QT might be a good way to get it to eat without having to compete for food in the main Display.

Ya your right about shipping stress and getting an established wrasse will greatly increase your chances. I have tried a few and a few months is all I have been able to get out of them.

Back