Jestersix

Flat Worms???

Kara13

Supporting Member
IMG_9925.jpg

Found these when I cleaned my filter sock this week. Are those red flat worms? If so, what should I do? I've been reading about dipping corals, but do you take all rocks out and dip them?

I dip 100% of everything I put in my tank. Does that not kill these guys?

I had the white flatworms years ago. They are attracted to light, so if you can rig up a light against the glass, they will all congregate there and you can use an airline tube to suck most of them out. I just waited them out and they enventually all just died out. If you want them gone sooner, you can use "flatworm exit" to get rid of them entirely.

A wrasse will probably control them too.

Things you can do
1) Nothing, and as long as your tank isn't too horribly dirty they won't grow out of control.
2) Try to siphon them out with water changes, and that'll be your controlling method
3) Use Flatworm Exit, and hope you don't have too many of them.

I don't have them in any noticeable amounts in my display, but they're doing a number in my refugium. Of course I also have large mats of algae growing on the sand that I regularly just pull up like carpet and toss.

that's really hard to tell, but i've never seen flatworms with that deep of a red color.

i have used flatworm exit on red planaria with absolutely no problems in the past.

I've been looking all through my tank and haven't seen anything again. CAn't find any eggs either. Hoping they were snails. I'll keep looking. Thanks everyone!

Cryptic six line (Pseudocheilinops ataenia) is another good option for worms. They are less aggressive than their counterpart but still great for pest control.

Justin (San Francisco),
sent from tapatalk

I had the white flatworms years ago. They are attracted to light, so if you can rig up a light against the glass, they will all congregate there and you can use an airline tube to suck most of them out. I just waited them out and they enventually all just died out. If you want them gone sooner, you can use "flatworm exit" to get rid of them entirely.

A wrasse will probably control them too.

The small white and clear ones are pretty much benign. Only the brown/red ones pose issues. All area a result of elevated nutrient levels.
They look like juvenile stomatella snails to me
Notice that they all have the same "dark" blotch at the same place on each individual
I think that is the forming shell
Just my 2 cents

I took those spots to be the "wings" folder over like they typically do when removed from water.

OP... take a photo with them on glass in water.

Those on the sock are the only ones I've seen. I've been looking and haven't seen anything in the tank. Everything there seems good. Fingers crossed!

I agree that those do not look like flatworms due to the shape. However, FWIW, I had a flatworm infestation in my 3 gallon pico, got a yellow damsel, and they were gone in a day.

Back