High Tide Aquatics

Website Feature Requests & Improvement Suggestions

Now that we have spam under control, I'd like some input from members on things that they think can be improved, fixed, or obliterated on the website. Let's hear your thoughts on anything that still annoys you, or your suggestions for improvements or enhancements.

This is a great opportunity to hear from anyone who has an opinion or idea. We're going to collect everything and prioritize things.

and I'm going to start because I just noticed that the main event post uses the date the post was created for the graphic rather than the date the event is happening, which is REALLY confusing. I doubt anyone cares when the post was created. Needs to be fixed ASAP.

Hmmm, not exactly a "change the forum" idea. But perhaps in one of the "welcome" or what not forums have a stick/locked at the top that explains how to do anything with the forum, i.e. a FAQ. How many times have you heard "why can't I send a PM" "You need to be a paid supporting member to use private messages" etc... "How do I disable email alerts..." (I say this as my mail box is flooded with emails from one particular conversation I was added to :))

Sticky, so it's always at the top, locked, so it doesn't get gunked up with everyone asking questions and what not. Only an admit can edit the content so the only things there are questions answered and formatted so it's easy to see :)

great idea mike. i think a FAQ link should belong at the top along with any other major link like "become a member" or "bylaws"

and I'm going to start because I just noticed that the main event post uses the date the post was created for the graphic rather than the date the event is happening, which is REALLY confusing. I doubt anyone cares when the post was created. Needs to be fixed ASAP.

hey philip, did you add those links to the front page that links to the membership and bylaws, etc? How come I've never noticed this before. I think maybe we should think about highlighting these somehow? Especially the membership link?

hey philip, did you add those links to the front page that links to the membership and bylaws, etc? How come I've never noticed this before. I think maybe we should think about highlighting these somehow? Especially the membership link?
I noticed these "Quick Links" a while back and thought it was great! But you see them only when initially getting onto the site. Once you start moving around (hit Forums for example), the Quick Links go away. Is it possible to keep them always on the page no matter where you are? I agree, maybe highlighting them or make them bold or flashing?!

(I say this as my mail box is flooded with emails from one particular conversation I was added to :))
When you open up a PM that you don't wish to be apart of (group message), I believe you can just hit Leave Conversation at the top (next to Star Conversation) and there will be an option so that you can remove yourself and not be alerted or copied anymore. I think that is correct although I've never used it but perhaps one of the webbies can confirm! Or try it!

Yeah I figured out to disable mailing me on PMs, it took a little hunting and most message boards I have are differently laid out this one. And sadly I look at this board more often than I look at email, so sending me an email that I got a private conversation really is pointless :)

I noticed these "Quick Links" a while back and thought it was great! But you see them only when initially getting onto the site. Once you start moving around (hit Forums for example), the Quick Links go away. Is it possible to keep them always on the page no matter where you are? I agree, maybe highlighting them or make them bold or flashing?!

The links on the landing page have been there since the landing page was rolled out a few months ago. I've looked into trying to get them to appear on the other pages. Our landing page is a plug-in and it has different options than the rest of the site though, so it's not exactly as simple as it would be in wordpress or any other program. I think we will need to edit the template pages, either by hand or using a WYSIWYG editor.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the most important thing is to make it obvious how to become a member.
Having to dig through forums is not a good solution.

Best: A small button on the very top, "Become a member"
(Bonus if invisible or greyed for current members)

OK:
We have 3 main categories : forums/events/members.
Put "Become a member" as the first sub-category under members, going to a locked page on how to do it.

I think this is a great suggestion: putting it in the menu bar as it's own link.

@Bluprntguy do you know how to do this? If not, I can take a look into it tonight. Let me know

In my opinion, the most important thing is to make it obvious how to become a member.
Having to dig through forums is not a good solution.

Best: A small button on the very top, "Become a member"
(Bonus if invisible or greyed for current members)

OK:
We have 3 main categories : forums/events/members.
Put "Become a member" as the first sub-category under members, going to a locked page on how to do it.

Yeah, the landing page links are more or less templatized. We have to dig into the CSS/templates and do some coding to really make the menu persist throughout the site. I'm sure it can be done but it'll certainly take some time. We'll just have to prioritize and it'll probably be worthwhile to do some time estimations on implementations... probably just do some scrum/agile planning to help us a bit.

I am a supporting member
uploadfromtaptalk1411764780635.jpg

Back