got ethical husbandry?

RO Water Alternative

So my RODI machine is out of commission. Whats the best water alternative that i can purchase temporarily so I can do my water changes? is distilled the best way to go?

Distilled is fine, Depending on the tank size it can get pricey quick but for emergencies or temporary fixes its perfectly fine to use. I used it for my pico for almost a year.

Safeway does like 5 - 1 gallon jugs for $5.00 usually.

I would wait the week or so to get new filters before going to other sources, but distilled definitely could work. But as Dan said, could get pricey fast...

Option two, depending upon what is wrong with your RODI machine you could
1) If it's the RO membrane, then run water through the prefilters (carbon is the big one to dechlorinate it) and then through the DI resin... but you'll burn through resin quickly
2) If it's the DI resin, skip that step, a few TDS ain't going to hurt
3) If it's both the RO and resin, run it through the prefilters, assuming you are getting municipal water and not well water then the TDS shouldn't be a huge issue for one water change or fresh water top off.

All of my water comes from the Glacier water machines outside of supermarkets. 5 gallons for 1.35$

It's only RO water not RODI. They run it through carbon twice and UV. Not the best but it works for me.

My concern with water vending machines is the unknown factor on where their last service date was. Who knows how old those filters are, or what you're getting out.

The service dates are posted on the machines and the machine will actually stop producing water when the filter have been used up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah gotchyah. That was the one thing that always held me back on getting one. Bob Boone (ASAP) works with PolyBioMarine and ever since I met him, he pitched it to me. Now that I am on a well, RODI isn't the best option. I contacted Bob yesterday after posting the above.

Bob informed me the PlyFilter they make removes manganese, and that is the one item in my well water the is elevated.

Back