Reef nutrition

My tank is in need of trimming ... giving away coral frags for helpers...

Hi all

So I haven't done much trimming in a while in my 120G reef tank and now i have sps growing into each other, grass coral growing everywhere, furry mushrooms everywhere ... don't have a inch of free space anymore and it just looks to crowded.
I do need someones help who knows how to trim the existing corals back as needed and they can take the timings with them.
I would like to do this hopefully tomorrow so Let me know if you are interested.
I live in san jose by city college.

IMG_2478.JPG

Thanks, but it got to the point where I don't have a single inch of free space, plus I have a lot of fish in the tank and I am thinking its getting to crowded for them in there. I don't know if i should try to pull out all the rocks and corals and re-scape the tank with less rocks and arrange the corals so there is more free room in the tank, but that is a larger project where I would need few holding tanks ... don't know ....

I would love to help & contribute to bar on your behalf since i dont have much empty space in my tank, we can clip then glue frags to plugs in one shot. Only problem is im supposed to visit 2 other BAR members tomorrow so i may be pressed for time.

What do you need to trim? Because that dictates the tools i need to bring. I can also bring plugs if you dont have them...

That's a beautiful system you have. I hope to one day have an established reef like this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and I would run some carbon after the massive fragging just in case your corals stress out at the same time.

Good news; paid him a visit last weekend and his tank really is "wow" he's got his corals growing like grass it's ridiculous and I'm talking about SPS growth.

Awesome guy to talk to/hang out with and he's built one hell of a setup fully outfitted with a huge sump, massive algae scrubber, 5 ft tall skimmer, etc. etc. all in a closet remotely located about 6 ft away from DT completely out of sight.

After much discussion we realized that trimming this tank in one shot is plain crazy, we decided we're going to attack it in sections and rescape all the rocks in the process all while disturbing the tank as little as possible.

You must wonder "well Fidel what're you going to do with all those corals?" Well I love BAR and I shared in detail with Becho (OP) why I feel the way I do and I suggested that everything goes to BAR via DBTC or directly donated to supporting members (weedy corals), he agreed with this idea.

My plan is to help him get a frag tank going, once that's done we will be moving colonies into this tank while we work on the scaping in the DT, once a section is done we will cull each colony to his liking, once I have the trimmings I will be taking up the task of fragging & propagating the corals then entering them into DBTC.

Long story short, look out for massive massive DTBC contributions coming from me on behalf of and credit given to Becho. I'm so excited to do this, even though my tank will only hold a fraction of what's coming :D

I also just set up a low tech frag tank if needed for housing let me know, I can house the weedy coral if need be!

he has an insane amount of GSP, I couldn't believe my eyes it's growing down the overflow like algae does, literally it's grown like algae haha, some brown softies etc, I only called them weedy because I'm not going to put GSP in DBTC ;)

We have not touched anything in the tank yet, we realized it was going to be a dawnting process. It will likely happen over the course of months.
I will be posting updates or Becho but he doesn't appear to be too active on here...

So ... Fidel stopped by few weeks ago, very nice of him to offer to help, we talked on what would be the best way to clean up the tank and we came up with the best solution being a tank remodel per say. Will probably keep most of the center corals but will trim them some to allow for future growth. Left and right side will remove the corals and rocks and will re-scape the rocks and add some corals leaving room for future corals and growth. It will be interesting.

Well I had to get my frag tank ready for the tank cleanup. I converted the existing algae scrubber to the new frag tank and my refuigium to the new up-flow scrubber. Picture attached.
Also I have attached a recent picture of the tank as it is today just as a before picture.
Will post updated pictures in the furure.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 339
Back