High Tide Aquatics

Show off your Frag Swap Loot!!!

If you got something awesome from the members frag swap (click to see event pictures), post it in this thread!

I got:
  • Jason Fox Jack-o-lantern or Fake-o-lantern leptoseris (Thanks Neuro! :))
    • No picture, I think the revive dip was too harsh on it :[
  • Fruit Loop Zoanthids (6-8 polyps) (Thanks Corallus)
  • IMG_9891.jpg
  • Armageddon Type II Zoanthids (Hmmm I lost the container, I think this is from Boun11)
  • IMG_9879.jpg
  • Free pizza :)
  • The opportunity to meet some nice/cool people.

P.S. Thanks for coming! and dip/inspect your corals!

This is not the thread for complaints/improvement ideas. We'll set up a thread for that later.

P.S.S. Check out this thread and vote on whether or not BAR should have a Photography Workshop this year. Yes you too can learn to take nice pictures of corals/fish.

Last edited:
(Aside from planaria, bryopsis, bubble algae and aiptasia.... )

I feel like I really got some awesome things including:

Miami Hurricane chalice, the pink is super neon crazy from @Reef Keeper
Red Pink Acanthastrea Lordensis from @Ahruk
Pink Sand Dollar Monti which has a really beautiful polyp distribution from @razr
Duncan from @bluprintguy

Thanks so much ya'll for donating such beautiful pieces to the swap. I am already excited about returning the favor in the next swap.

xoxo

So you got my dendro! Big tip on the dendro, he doesn't like light. Spray brineshrimp/mysis/food residue on him to get him to come out. He doesn't like much flow. Non-photosynthetic so he only gets energy from eating. They're not an easy coral so let me know if you have questions. There's 1 big polyp with 2 small polyps.

Some big hunk o' green monti cap
a couple frags of red/orange monti cap (2 frags in one container!)
Purple rim green cap, and looks like there's a different monti under it, season greeting undata or something (2 fer!!!)
Green & purple symphyllia
Some rasta zoas that I got because the top of the container said Taro, Rainbow sauce, coconut milk...or something like that :D
Bird of Paradise
Some orange dohicky that Mike gave me at the end (can't remember the name, he fragged it there)
All of which are currently in my frag qt tank, thought I had some iodine to dip them, guess I was wrong.

And my Yuma I won! Which of course as soon as I put it in the tank, it separated from the rock it was on... and now I have no fricking idea where it is... *sigh*

Lol! Mike!

What you need to do is:

Get a delicontainer full of rock rubble. Put it in your tank with your yuma, once you find it,. Put it in a low flow area and let it attach.

I do this with a shotglass and two small rock rubble at the bottom. I use tweezers to position the mushroom/ricordea so it's foot is on the rubble then put it in my low flow area. The low flow gives them time to attach. Some attach in a day or two while some take 1-2 weeks or more.

Yeah I know, I put a damn frag plug on top of the yuma while I went to go get some netting... summabooger blew away. I just hope I can find it, 30 square feet of tank makes for lots of hiding places.

Oh and I'm a fricking genius, I figure I'll put a small piece of nori right where the yuma was and watch which way the current takes it. And it's off... and my purple tang decides that now is the time he's going to eat some nori... never when I put it in a stupid clip, but sure float it in the tank and it's small... nom nom nom.

The upside... I found the yuma! Lights are almost out, just the violet is on so it's fairly dark, and its easy to see every nook and cranny, it was in the back corner of the tank... I would like to say that was the direction the nori was headed, but it was dumb luck that I looked there :D

Glad to hear you found it. I can't wait to see pics of everybody's stuff once it's settled. I got a ton of awesome stuff for my jar. As well as, a really beautiful Hollywood stunner chalice, a whole boatload of snails, a purple sponge and a couple of colorful rhodactis mushrooms. But even though I love my new coral and inverts, I definitely think the best part of the day was talking to passionate reefers :D

I did a light dipping, when I returned home, in Revive; and the corals were very clean. Thanks to those who took the time to frag some nice pieces for the Swap :0)

Will post Frag Photos soon, but these photos from the net show the potential nicely...

Here goes:

Green Rhodactis - Shroom - Corallus - it was on SPS table for my last pick, not happy about that, but it is showy none the less. Within the order of Corallimorpharia.
green rhodactis - Yahoo Search Results

5fbc4e0e3e7d77124bf5ba0e6a626c8b.jpg

Capt America Zoas - RA2R sp? May look like this once it settles in. Right now kind of brown rim and red center is starting to show.

Palythoas (Zoanthus Gigantus) - Captain America Paly ...
CaptainAmericas.jpg

Blue Stag Acro SPS- Bee505 sp? Very deep blue and pretty - Looks more like this Cali Blue Tort - Blue Tortusa
Cali Blue Tort
cali-blue-tort-68-700x700.jpg

Light Blue Tort - SPS - Neuro Was lucky to get one of the two pieces on the table, and drew the smaller of the two as the larger was claimed. Very light pale blue, and very nice contrast with the other blues in the display

acroblue.jpg

Tyree Red Cyphastrea - SPS -Dswong01 Not sure if this frag is just "Tyree Red" or "Blood Red" All the links come up "Blood Red." This stuff grows like mad in my tank, so it should be very showy for an all red Cyphastrea....
Limited Editions Blood Red Eyes Cyphastrea
DSC04346.jpg

Purple Stylophora Acro - SPS - Member didn't list their Name - Very pretty and very nicely mounted. Very healthy and showy - Nice of the Member to bring it in. Like to thank them whom ever it may be.

Vivid Purple Stylophora | Vivid Aquariums | Buy Online
AcroPurpleStylo.jpg

That's it: I came with 8 pieces and went home with 6 nice pieces. One of the best things was getting to meet and know some of our Supporting Members, and some of the Board Members a bit better :0)

I think this Swap was very well managed, and the Board Members really held an excellent event. Looking forward to our next meeting / get togethers and Swaps.

Now, I have to transfer this post to my Journal Page.

Happy Reefing,
Joel - Reef Keeper.

Last edited:
@Reef Keeper - the light blue tort is like the image but it's skinnier. It has greenish tips! Imo it looks much better than the pic.

Agreed :0) just wanted to get some images up, but will post the ones I took home when they settle in a bit more. Thank you for bringing in and labeling your frags so well. I did not have to guess at the spelling / name.

(Aside from planaria, bryopsis, bubble algae and aiptasia.... )

I feel like I really got some awesome things including:

Miami Hurricane chalice, the pink is super neon crazy from @Reef Keeper
Red Pink Acanthastrea Lordensis from @Ahruk

Ah, so you got the Acan :0) - I was looking all over the tables for that one. Hoping to get a piece after you grow it out. Acans can take a while I have a nice green and orange one that is almost ready to frag. I suggest you place some small flat pieces of live rock around the sides of the Acan, and it will grow on to the rocks pretty quickly (a few months- just in time for Sept 12th Frag Swap or the Speed Swaps on Oct 10th or Dec 12th . Good Luck. The Hurricane is practically indestructible and will grow quickly.

xoxo

Thanks @Reef Keeper for the info on the acan. I will place some bits of rock next to it and hope it's ready by October or December. The colors are beautiful and I want to be sharing exciting things in the next swap. :) The Hurricane is looking beautiful, I love the colors!

After saying "no, I'll just watch" I really got into the excitement of selecting 3 awesome frags:

Neon green cup monti from Dick (@F6553066)
Miami Hurricane and Mycedium from Joel (@Reef Keeper)

Pictures posted on my tank journal. Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
Ended up with some really nice pieces that took some serious time to acclimate, dip and place last night.
- Purple tip frogspawn and red war coral from 3-2-reef & Ashalye
- Green & purple pocillopora from Apon - great color, and my bushiest sps.
- Mystery donor "birdsnest" which looks to be a bird of paradise
- GSP and "orange and green" zoa's from jonmos75. The zoa's were the biggest surprise for me - the plug has over 50 polyps, and once they started to open up, they look to be what everyone calls Eagle Eyes. Beautiful.
- And a small piece of Miami Hurricane chalice - Darcy, was that you who gave it to me? I didn't get your name when you snapped it off for me, but thanks again!

I'll take some pics when things settle in. The only nasty I found was an aiptasia, plain as day, on the bottom of the birdsnest plug. At least that's all I saw during the acclimation process...

@Reef Keeper - yep, that's what the 'shroom should look like once it's happy. Sorry it's not an sps ;)

This was a fun event as this was my second time at a BAR function and was my very first frag swap and I and the family had a good time.......A large Special Thanks to all the BAR members, BOD and sponsors that made this possible!!!!

After getting home I dipped and put everything and put into my QT Tank.....

Got from the Frag Swap Today:

Light Defuser on the Free Table using it as a frag shelf

Green Ponape Birdnest - Piper (Free Table)
Purple Stylo - ? (Free Table)---------------------------Would like to get a members name to this piece if possible

(2) Vivid Purple Acro - Mr.T
Green Frogspawn - Mr.T (Brandon Picked)
Purple Monti Cap - Bondolo
Blue Pavona Fondifera - Reef Keeper
Green Pocillppora - Gaberoserfield
Unknown Green/Blue SPS - Bondolo
Green Leather Devils Hand - Anhit

IMAG0230.jpg
IMAG0229.jpg
IMAG0228.jpg
IMAG0227.jpg

Back