Our mission

Need advise on resealing glass tank

Marc

Hey All,

I've got a glass tank that needs to be resealed. Its fairly large and I need some tips on how to successfully complete this project. Tank is a 6 footer rimless and glass is 1/2 thick. Heavy as hell!

Ive already cut the glass panes apart and now I need to clean the silicon off and clean and prep the glass.

I'd like to know....
1) is there a solvent that will help me remove the old silicon off the glass?
2) what solvent for cleaning the glass to insure oil free surface?

I used 70% alcohol that i buy from costco to clean. Why you need to cut the panels apart? If you cut it apart it not reseal anymore, seem like you want to rebuild the tank from used panels.

I used 70% alcohol that i buy from costco to clean. Why you need to cut the panels apart? If you cut it apart it not reseal anymore, seem like you want to rebuild the tank from used panels.
Well it's a large tank and the previous owner had already resealed it once. Honestly I'm not comfortable just adding more silicon to "patch" the blown seems. I feel more comfortable knowing all edges are solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I haven't tried this method but came across this a while back:

I was planning to do some glass projects but never got around to it. I'm curious though, what's a "ghost" overflow?

Back