Reef nutrition

Live Blackworms

Hi fellow reefers! Just bought a bunch of live blackworms from aquaticfoods out of fresno after reading a nice little thread by Paul B over at Reefcentral. Paul attributed alot of his success in his 40+ year old reef tank to the diet he provides to his livestock. He feeds them live black and white worms along with other live and frozen foods. So after reading the many threads of the use of live blackworms in saltwater fish tanks, i went out and bought myself some. And i think i overdone it by buying a little too much. So if you're interested in trying out some live blackworms, contact me and bring over a little container to house them. Paul also made a little worm keeper to prolong the life of the worms. More info can be found here, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1770506

Black worms are great for new fish or sick fish. It's loaded with high protein. I feed it everyday. Culturing is a pita and they sell it $1/oz.

Where do they sell it at? I've been trying to find it locally. They always get them mistaken for tubifex worms. I'm trying to culture then but I heard the reproduce or split very slowly, so unless your have a huge culturing tank it's kinda hard.

I've found small quantities at 'Pet Club'. Do you have a PC near you?

The rest of the store is like a not cute Petco. Serviceable but not my first or second choice for a LFS.

So Petclub in foster city sells "blood worms"

After doing some googling I've learned that most pet stores sell live black worms or tubiflex worms as blood worms.

They don't know what they are. They just call them blood worms. Wish I knew more about this.

Yea thats the dilemma i had when looking for it and calling the petstores. I just went straight to the souce so there's no chance of it being something else. My fish loves them! They all go crazy for them except for the tomini and the hoeven's wrasse. They just look at it right now but im sure if i give it a couple of days they will be fighting for them like the others.

Back