Kessil

Fragging my Uranium Bounce Mushroom

Gonna document the fragging and recovery process of my Uranium Bounce Mushroom.

Lineaged back to Darwin from LC. Purchased at ReefApalooza 2015.

Fragging method: Razor Blade then Bandsaw to separate the plug.

Tips:
  • Try to include the mouth in your frag.
  • These mushrooms like to eat; I think having pieces of a mouth = faster mouth regeneration = faster growth rate.
  • We know these mushrooms can propagate themselves via pedal laceration and self-bissection. Most commonly they clone themselves by splitting a piece of their foot.

image.jpg

Size: 3 inch diameter when super happy.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Get sliced sucka!!!

image.jpg

Yesss glorious mushroom guts and deflated bubbles!

I anticipate a full recovery within the next month. These overpriced new craze mushrooms heal quickly and can take a beating.

Last edited:
Did you cut through a bubble when you fragged it? I've always wondered how they would take that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Approximately 24 hours after fragging, bubbles have re-inflated, but not yet to previous sizes. Guts are not hanging out and the rim has folded downwards.

image.jpg

I will be keeping the small frag with the super big bubbles.

Thinking about raffling off the other half at the members frag swap.

image.jpg

Side view. See that white tip near the bubbles. Thats a profile view of the mouth.

Lets see if having part of the mouth = faster mouth regeneration.

image.jpg

Get off that mushroom its worth more than you shrimpy!!!

The green one I will probably raffle off.

But I will be bringing some nice frags to the BAR frag swap. Wont be going to the diablo swap personally because its too far and I prefer swapping with club members than random strangers.

These bounce mushrooms are expensive at the moment. I bought the green one for 150$ and the yellow green one for $400.

You should come take a look at the stock I got left one of these days might be able to work out a trade+cash for the wwc one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larger Green Bounce frag fully healed
image.jpg

In about 21 days, the flesh has reached back and reattached the other piece of flesh, forming a fully round mushroom again. Fragging bounces = easy.

Yeah theyre more of a collector coral.

Coral pricing is primarily set by coral vendors/LFS, but is heavily affected by demand. There was a time when a polyp of Red Hornet Zoas were 50$ per polyp. Now youre lucky if you can sell them for 5$ per polyp.

I do foresee the price of these bounce mushrooms dropping, pretty soon too, primarily as a result of successful propagation by hobbyists. There is gossip that the original wwc bounce mushroom was illegally collected from the carribeans or possibly a hitchhiker.

Since then, no store has been able to bring in wild wwc bounce mushrooms. You only see them being sold by hobbyists who propagate them and stores that also propagate them.

Its all supply and demand though. Prices usually always go down for new corals.

Back