Reef nutrition

Losing my mind... I swear...

so with me getting the baby room (and our bedroom) ready (electrical, insulation, fixing holes in the house, dry rot, i.e. more problems than I anticipated) I've really neglected my tank, like super neglected, pumps were so covered in algae & bubble algae they were pushing next to zero water. There's a bunch of cyano on the bottom, bubble algae on every possible rock surface (surprised it hasn't covered over all my corals actually!).

But the other night while tired sitting at my desk I watched a few BRS videos on Youtube, a series of 52 weeks to setup a tank, and it gave me a little desire, well this morning, I decided to put a little long neglected TLC on my tank (even though I am fully planning on breaking it down, I just haven't had time to setup temporary digs). So I cleaned all my pumps and oh my god, if the slots are clear the move way more water who would have known! </sarcasm>... then I saw I had about 80g of fresh water, I might as well turn it into saltwater, so I do the math, figure 80g, 1/2 cup per gallon, 4oz to a 1/2 cup, use the 32oz deli containers to measure out salt... hell I was going to pull out my phone and do the math there so it's all perfect, and calculated out 5 of the 32oz containers... so put it in, come back a few hours later and see 1.015 ... ok WTF, I know it's colder water, but the temperature shouldn't have THAT much of an impact on the refractometer... fine it's not mixed up completely, another few hours ... still 1.015, ok screw it, I give up on this crappy Aquavitro Salinty crap! So an hour ago, I'm sitting here, thinking "I'm fairly sure it's 1/2 a cup per gallon of water" check the manufacturers webpage, yup it is, open up a calculator on the computer, 80g * 4oz / 32oz = 10... ok SuperWTF. Grab my phone, look at the calculator history... and of course, I multiplied in the 1/2 in there... *sigh*.

I am so ready to shut down this tank it's not funny, does petco still have the dollar/gallon sale? I think I need to start with a 20g breeder to turn into a coral grow out so I can reduce the lights on the tank.

Ehh. Let the 1.015 water sit outside for a while.
As long as it does not rain too much, eventually it will evaporate to where you want it.
;)

yeah it's not a critical thing, just was going to suction out some algae and detritus since I've basically neglected the tank for the past 2-3 months.

Well the plan is when the baby gets here that's going to be my nirvana room, someplace I can go and just let my mind go... while wearing my noise cancelling headphones :D

Although no way that's happening before the baby gets here, so yeah...

Well the plan is when the baby gets here that's going to be my nirvana room, someplace I can go and just let my mind go... while wearing my noise cancelling headphones :D

Hahahahaha. Such wishful thinking. I was that way ... once.
No way that is happening after the baby gets here either.

For the 1st few weeks, your nirvana room is gonna be your bedroom as you crash every chance you get from sleeplessness!

After that, the plan may still work, depending on how demanding your child is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right, this has got to be your first kid. Before having kids I knew there was going to be a lot of work associated with them but it was twice as much as I was anticipating. Now I've got three. They're like a tank with no automation. There's a lot of gratification you get from watching them but they are a lot of work. If you skip on their maintenance you get much worse than an algae problem.

Pretty funny thread...bringing back painful memories. I have faith in you you Mike, but you will be tired, like you've never been tired before...

Back