Our mission

BillT's 20 gallon

Let there be light! [emoji4]
64930f64d23a11cffce1281c738fbdcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

You may be better off with narrower optics and mounting it higher with the sol blue on a tank that small to reduce light hittin the sides and spilling out

Since about November. I read all kinds of reviews about how quiet it is, and maybe it is, in comparison to other skimmers (this my first one), but it is the loudest piece of equipment I have running on my tank. That is probably the only thing I'm not impressed with. I did have micro bubbles for like 4 months when the literature said it should only take about 8 weeks to break in, but now it produces very little.

Okay, good to know, thanks! I'm used to having a skimmer in an enclosure in the sump so I hear ya..no pun intended. The micro bubbles suck, but I'll have to wait it out.

Do you have it draining into a bucket or something? If you turn the collection cup around you can have it drain back into the skimmer if it overflows too. That's the way I have it. It's only needed it once when for some reason there was a bunch of really thin skimate that was produced.

Since the tank is cycling, I have almost no skimmate. I have the collection cup to the top position with a drain hose in a bucket, but have had no problems with overflow. BTW, I had forgotten how frustrating cycling is, lol. As far as noise goes, are you using the stock "T"? I read that people are draining the output to a foam filter with low noise and good results...might be worth a try for you? I'm going to give it a shot, but the noise is pretty minimal for me.

I'm using the same skimmer with excellent results and mine is quiet. I did end up buying the bubble controller because the microbubbles were driving me crazy. For the first month or so I had the skimmer cup at the top position as well, but now it sits about halfway down and I get a heavy "dry" skim. I have to clean mine at least once a week, but I have a pretty heavy load in the tank.

Wish I could say the same...apartment life sucks! Want to buy but too damn expensive here right now. I guess I'll get sick of it and jump....ahhhhhh! :)

Back