Kessil

filter

Sure why not but all it will provide is flow and whatever you choose to put in the chambers.

It will not work like a protein skimmer.

What do you hope to accomplish with this canister filter? Only flow? What exactly do you want to filter out?

Last edited:
Are you looking at doing a reef tank with coral, or a simple salt water tank with a few fish.
For a reef tank, it is the wrong solution. It will become a nitrate factory so to speak.
Read up on protein skimmers, live rock, and how to maintain a reef tank.
It is very different from your typical freshwater setup.

Since I'm not running with a sump I have thought about using a canister filter on a limited basis (once a weekish.) That way I can run charcoal and accomplish what a filter sock does as needed.

I use a canister filter. I've got the foam pads it came with, the cylindrical little white porous things, charcol, purigen, and some PhosGuard in mine. That's in addition to a skimmer though.

I use a canister filter. I've got the foam pads it came with, the cylindrical little white porous things, charcol, purigen, and some PhosGuard in mine. That's in addition to a skimmer though.

I might call that a "Reactor"
:)

Not saying it is a bad system though.
The Purigen and Phosguard make it a complete detritus/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/adsorbtion system.
And perhaps in some ways better, since one stage feeds directly to the next.

But without the Purigen and Phosguard ... I feel you would likely have a nitrate problem.

I think as a side effect is you get less bacterial activity on the live rock though,
which means you lose that Nitrate reduction in the anaerobic section inside the rock.

I have a 80 gal cube and I was thinking this would make a great saltwater tank. .but when I got out of saltwater I have everything away. .I was thinking some rocks and some rose anemones or a carpet anemones with a pair of clowns. .so I was thinking what could I use to filter this. .

Sure it will provide some water movement.

But it wont really filter anything, unless you have some carbon/gfo/biopellets/etc inside the canister filter.

If you have some sponges in the canister filter it might catch some fish poop.

Have you thought about a hang on back protein skimmer?

I use an eheim ecco on a 55 low light mixed reef.
I change the carbon and phosbond every week
Along with 15 or 20 gallon water change

I will recommend a skimmer with an overflow type prefilter

Back