High Tide Aquatics

TyeDye Jawbreaker!

New addition.

Finally added a TyeDye Jawbreaker! Its tiny right now. Close to dime sized.

TyeDyeJB.jpg

Some other gratuitous coral shots.

Cali Tort
CaliTort-3.jpg

Some Acro I don't know the name of :)
Acropora.jpg

Torch I picked up at the same time as the JB
Torch.jpg

Super cool vincent! Started with some good color development. Time to sit back and watch some more colors.

Heres mine

3/2015
image.jpg

3/2016
image.jpg

It will take a long time (6months to year) to drop babies.

I have a theory that if you put them on a slight slope, they kinda move down dropping babies along the way.

They also dont survive fragging like rhodactis mushrooms (the jawbreaker is a Discosoma from Vietnam)

Last edited:
Great Looking JB! I bet it will look amazing as it gets bigger based on how much red it already has. I love when the red starts forming and the one I have is getting more and more green spots. The development of the different colors is so exciting to watch.
IMG_6859.JPG

Very nice jawbreaker Collin!

What do you think about those all red jawbreakers with like a dot of orange left.

I dont like em lol like the tye dye look.

I feel the same way as you about the all red ones. I love the tye dye look with all the different splashes of color. I've seen one in person that had purple and I would be elated to see that in mine. My JB is about 3 years old and it started showing green after 2 years. I heard it can take a long time(up to 5 years) to see purple.

Expensive too with the recent increase in popularity for high end mushrooms corals.

A plain orange jawbreaker about nickel size cost around 100-150$ at the Local Fish Stores in 2014.

Around craigslists from local hobbyists they're also around 100$ fluctuating up and down slightly.

If I were to sell my current jawbreaker with its red and green, I wouldnt ask for less than 150$ as a hobbyist.

Fun fact: One of the first ever Tye Dye/Jawbreaker Mushrooms to hit the reef keeping hobby within the United States was "discovered" and propagated here in the Bay Area by "kmaintl" @kmaintl

http://kmaintl.com/

They are still found on wild rocks from Vietnam but in few numbers. The Whole Salers have learned about their popularity and value and aren't letting them go for super cheap. Recently there's been a wave of colored tye dyes that hit the coral vendor industry but many people skeptical about their survival due to them looking detached with mouth gaping.

Last edited:
Back