Neptune Aquatics

Ozone, anyone use it?

If you are thinking of that, you might want to look at hydrogen peroxide dosing as well.
It seems that might be trending as a safer replacement.

Never used either myself, but have thought about it at times.

H2O2 dosing is like playing with fire lol, all fun and game till you overdose and crash the tank. I used to use it to spot treat algae in freshwater tank.

How do you crash a tank dosing what is essentially water n oxygen? Granted a lot of anything is no good but I would imagine it would have to be ALOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a high enough H202 dose, you could lose your beneficial denitrifying bacteria.
Result would be a big ammonia/nitrite spike and a crash.

The concern is you need to find the sweet spot where it oxidizes sludge, affects algae, but does not hurt bacteria,
and I have no idea how wide of a range that would be.

That said, while going crazy will crash your tank, I have not seen any specific claims of that happening yet.
Unlike the many Kalk crashes and so on.
So done right, it seems fairly safe. But done wrong, like almost everything, can crash.
Same with ozone, which can even affect YOU if done horribly wrong.

As I understand it, the real advantage is this:
Ozone really only oxidizes well in the reactor area. You deliberately outgass most of it afterwards, or it is dangerous.
So only the water flowing through the reactor with enough dwell time is truly cleaned fully.
That is very limiting.

I think the reason H202 is considered safer is because you can control dosing, and do
not have to make sure you outgass the ozone properly. Plus it can never hurt humans.

It will be interesting to follow. Seems pretty new so far.

That makes sense. I was eyeing the ozone because I can inject it into the skimmer. Seems like a more efficient way than dosing. The specific unit I was looking at uses a uv tube to produce O3- and can be used as a UV sterilizer as well. The o3- production part and the UV sterilizer part can be turned on/off independent of each other.

I'll look into h2o2 dosing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run all my tanks on ozone and uv. If you have hesitation, just put it on a timer when no one is at home. I think I am using the same unit on one of my tank -ultralife. It actually works very well that I only turn it on for one day a week.

I have a couple ozone generators (never used), as well as a couple of those drying bead containers, but never actually got around to using it. The amount of setup that seems to be necessary to safely use it, want some sort of ORP controller to make sure you don't over do it, needs to be in some sort of reactor (or your skimmer) then that effluent needs to go through carbon, and the venting of air needs to go through carbon as well (double pain if it goes through your skimmer), I mean shit if I'm just using it to reduce the "yellowing" of the water to make it more clear I might as well just run carbon and call it day!

Chalk it up to reef junk I never got around to using collecting in my garage :D

I have a couple ozone generators (never used), as well as a couple of those drying bead containers, but never actually got around to using it. The amount of setup that seems to be necessary to safely use it, want some sort of ORP controller to make sure you don't over do it, needs to be in some sort of reactor (or your skimmer) then that effluent needs to go through carbon, and the venting of air needs to go through carbon as well (double pain if it goes through your skimmer), I mean shit if I'm just using it to reduce the "yellowing" of the water to make it more clear I might as well just run carbon and call it day!

Chalk it up to reef junk I never got around to using collecting in my garage :D

Run all my tanks on ozone and uv. If you have hesitation, just put it on a timer when no one is at home. I think I am using the same unit on one of my tank -ultralife. It actually works very well that I only turn it on for one day a week.

I will be running it on the Apex with an ORP probe so that's 1/2 of the equation. The air drying part seems to be relevant to corona discharge units only. @euod do you run a silica reactor? I think if I adjust the output so very little O3- vents, it will be ok. Or like @euod says, just run it at night. O3- will dissipate very quickly so as long as you are not standing around breathing that in, shouldn't be a problem.

I used it, with my Apex, for years on my 90 gal and 125 gal...loved the water quality that I got with it. I agree with easy does it, but I never experienced any problems with crashing at all. I monitored it via my ORP probe and ran it through my skimmer. As with anything, YMMV, but I'd do it again with a large tank...would not risk on my li' 20 gallon.

I will be running it on the Apex with an ORP probe so that's 1/2 of the equation. The air drying part seems to be relevant to corona discharge units only. @euod do you run a silica reactor? I think if I adjust the output so very little O3- vents, it will be ok. Or like @euod says, just run it at night. O3- will dissipate very quickly so as long as you are not standing around breathing that in, shouldn't be a problem.
Well that certainly will help since you already have the equipment, do note that the probe is a regular expense for you to swap out (yearly??). And yeah the corona discharge units need the air drying and it's a trade off due to them being cheaper.

That said I would not assume that O3 is going to dissipate quickly, while there certainly are more dangerous things that could be lurking in your home's air, O3 isn't something you should screw around with either. Now if you can some how run some tubing to the outside then you're golden and can have peace of mind in that regard.

Back