Jestersix

125 gallon for larger tangs?????

What do u guys think of a 125 gallon tank for a big tank? I want a blue tang or something that size and I know they need a lot of room to swim. I found on Craigslist a 125 gal tank 72L 18w 22 h I need to reseal it with silicon but it's $100. I want big cuz I want a purple tang or blue tang a larger tang in my tank. I hear 6ft is minimum that do u guys thing????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank was what I was thinking. I got a 90 gal in storage that I got for $100 but realized it isn't big enough for a large tang. Only 48 long. So I may trade is for some coral I want. Or hold it. But I thought $100 for a 125 is a steal even if I need to reseal it.

I'm sure others here can give you advice on that, but I know I'd be leery of starting with a tank that has known leaks already. 125 gallons is a lot of pressure on a re-sealed bad spot in my mind, but maybe it's not a big deal if you know what you're doing.

And don't worry -- I'm not interested. Just for the reason I noted.

Lol. I know it's not the best of conditions. But I'm pretty dam good at DIY so I have faith in my self. Maybe I'm young and stubborn. But $100 isn't to bad of a lose for a cheap fix. That's my 22 year old thought process

The recommended tank length for a Hepatus (Pacific Blue) tang is 8ft so tank size is close to 240. Smaller tangs like the Purple is 6ft which is about 120.

125 is decent for the smaller tangs. Id hold out for a better tank. People are always getting out of the hobby
How much do u think a larger tank would be? I'm looking for around $1 per gallon in young and not willing to drop $1000+ on a tank yet. I already got a nice 90 gal barley used and I was thinking to add this one to my collection in storage so when the time comes I find a larger tank or an expensive coral I had something to trade or barter with instead of dropping a bunch of money. So I guess my question is do u think I'd be ably to find a 300 gal tank for around $300-450??

If it were me and I was young and with limited funds I don't think I'd go much bigger than 100-125 anyway. A couple of different reasons:
1) The tank itself is the cheapest part of running a large aquarium. The associated required equipment at that size is much more pricey than the tank and cutting corners on some of that is asking for problems.
2) Upkeep of a larger aquarium is expensive on an on-going basis and may well run more than the initial price of the aquarium on a MONTHLY basis. The electric bill, water changes, chemicals and even feeding of a huge tank is really expensive. Not to mention filling it up with cool corals.
3) Stage of life -- now this may not be true of you, but most folks in their 20s tend to be less established and more mobile -- moving with more frequency as job and personal relationships change. I don't even want to imagine the cost and expense of moving a 300 gallon every few years, let alone the locations you might end up with where you have no safe place to set it up.

Just something else to think about.

I picked up my 190 for $400. It came with a stand that I did not take. There are deals to be had.

There was a shop closing down that had 4 LeeMar 72/30/20 tanks for $300 each recently. I had no room of I would have picked 1 up.

+1 on what @Bruce Spiegelman posted. The tank really is a small part of the whole equation.

I had to take a 20yr break from the hobby due to job/renting/kids etc. At this part of my life, buying my (hopefully last) house, kids are older and more independent, job is stable (more or less, hard to know these days), I finally have the pieces of my life in place for a large system.

I think 100-125 is a great size to have. Large enough to have room for corals/fish but small enough to be maintained with less cost and move if the need arises.

I picked up my 190 for $400. It came with a stand that I did not take. There are deals to be had.

There was a shop closing down that had 4 LeeMar 72/30/20 tanks for $300 each recently. I had no room of I would have picked 1 up.

Do u know what shop and if they still have them for sell?? I'd love to check them out.

Do u have any tangs in ur tank? If so what size do u have? How do u feel about reselling.
Yes I do, I have 4 tangs, 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 tomini & 1 kole tang. They're all currently in a 270g tank, they were in a 375g but I downsized that. Of tangs the bristletooth species (in my case Tomini and Kole) are smaller tangs that are suitable in a smaller aquarium, the purple and yellow can get large but in a very long time. I can only guestimate the size of the fish to be somewhere between 5-7 inches each, so they're not terribly large but still good sized (I might be underestimating their size too because in bigger tanks things do tend to look smaller). And no reselling, I didn't believe that fish should be swapped about for newer fish just because you get bored of them or want different ones.

Now many people would (and do) have this many tangs or more in tanks smaller than mine, but like I said I tend to be a little more cautious when it comes to tangs, they're great fish but they primarily serve a cleaning purpose in my tank, the two bristletoothed ones scrape at algae on rocks, and the two zebrasoma ones pick at algae on rocks, and I won't lie 3 of them are usually inexpensive in stores (not the purple :D). Now I'm not going to tell you what to do, because my fish philosophy tends to be more on the conservative side than others, but if it were me I'd probably put 1 tang in a 6 foot long tank just get it at a smaller size, now my 375g tank was only 6 feet, but it was 5 feet wide in the other direction so there was an absolute ton of swimming room compared to the 18 inch width of a 125g tank.

That said, $100 for a few sheets of glass, well if $100 is nothing to you, then it could be a fun DIY project, you might learn a thing or two, but I wouldn't count on the tank for long term stuff. I did something similar with an 80g Leemar cube where the bottom was broken so I replaced it with PVC, and sure enough the tank held water just fine for a long time, and I put fish in it, but I got the tank for free as he was going to throw it away, so like I said it was a fun DIY project primarily.

I had 3 tangs in my 120 gallon, blue, yellow and a lieutenant tang, all we fat and happy, i think lentgh is important, but also room to swim, and room to be in their own areas where they feel safe, all my tangs were 7 years old when i got rid of my tank, and if you ask bookfish he will tell you I had some of the healthest tang he had ever seen

Back