Reef nutrition

Nano sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

wow, it looks imagine. First I though it photo shop because the percula clown color so intense and does not seem true, but I though the owner will not do this because it not a for sale thread. What lighting are you using on this tank? It crazy nice color.

wow, it looks imagine. First I though it photo shop because the percula clown color so intense and does not seem true, but I though the owner will not do this because it not a for sale thread. What lighting are you using on this tank? It crazy nice color.

Since the tank is 100% LED I do have to manipulate the image a bit (white balancing, mostly) in order to get a true-to-life image.

This LED array is a combination DIY LEDs (for 'punch') and Exotic Stunner Strips (for T5-like coverage). I like to run lower Kelvin lighting than is typical these days (~12k). As a result, the array has more warm hues (oranges, reds) that tend to mimic somewhat shallower water which enhance the warmer, non-fluorescent fish and coral colors.

Last edited:
I feel like I always say this but Nano Sapiens Ricordea garden inspired me to do mine.

I actually got my first two ricordea floridas and yumas from nano sapiens at the new hobbyists work shops.

NOW IM ADDICTED TO RICORDEA. Thanks!

Glad I got you 'hooked'. As far as addictions go, that's one of the better ones ;)

I've been mess'in with Rhodactis inchoata ('Tonga' Bullseye) lately and they are proving more difficult to manage in this small tank. Much more flow and light averse (tend to detach) than Ricordia and they don't handle changes/physical touch nearly as well. It'll take me a while to build up that little side garden...

Zoas were all single polyps just a few months ago...getting out of control already:

Zoa%20Group1_100315_zpsbmqe026p.jpg

Last edited:
A little less light helps and I add a few extra drops of iodine over the week. I also feed it heavily since it has lost much of the zooxanthellate derived nutrition.

Last edited:
Very nice. Do you have any issue with coral trying to push into each other territory?

Thanks! There's a fair bit of pushing-and shoving, but I've only lost one coral type so far. I like to transplant frags in multiple places, so that helps to prevent loosing a specific coral type.

Last edited:
Back