High Tide Aquatics

[Jul 23, 2016] Lunch and Tank Tour at Dick's House!! (Oakland, CA)

Thank you to Dick and Linda for the wonderful lunch and raffle! Matt (@<3-2-reef) and I both enjoyed ourselves! Both of the tanks are very impressive! I also enjoyed seeing the parrots and safari photos!

IMG_7675.jpg

Last edited:
Dick
Sorry to have missed the fun!
Tanks look great from the posted pics. How is the chalice that you got from me some time ago now? If you ever have the need for my band saw, I can bring it to you
Best fishes and happy reefing to all

Dick and Linda - what a wonderful afternoon! Great food, lovely tanks, and good to see so many members there! Thank you for opening your home to us!!

Dick,
Thanks again...your tanks are fantastic. It was good to meet some fellow reefers and I picked up several tips as I rebuild my 300!

-Will

My wife and I are especially happy that everyone had a good time. I want to thank coral reef(mike) and Geneva for their help in setting the event up. I also want to thank Ashalye for all the pictures she took. Lastly I want to thank everyone who came. Without you there wouldn't have been this event. My wife commented on how nice a group you are: friendly,sociable, and enthusiastic.
This is a wonderful hobby in the sense the an individual can take an enclosure add some water and rock and to me begin to do a work of art. And what can created is personized to each individual. I am still in awe of all the different aquariums that are created, and none are the same. Some are very large, some small. Some have one type of coral, some many types. And the colors are breathtaking no matter the aquarium size. So in a sense this is one of the reasons I had the party. I love to see things that people create themselves. So I wanted you see what I have done, good or bad, and maybe more people will want to show other hobbyists what they have created. And since everyone is different there is not a "best" aquarium, there is not a competition.
Lastly, both my wife and

Sorry I hit the wrong key. Both my wife and I both almost immediately said maybe we should do this every year. To this end I would like to know if this is someone you the members would support, and please add anything that you think would improve the event.
Again thank you!

Kensington Reef, sorry you couldn't come. Maybe next time. You have a good memory. The coral did very well until in my stupidity Iet it get too close to a torch coral, and what can I say, it was killed. I can only say I learned a listen.
Dick Flanagan

@Ashalye - thank you so much for taking pictures - they are great! (I love the parrot one with Linda and me chatting in the kitchen background.) Linda and I were saying we forgot to get name tags and then the event would have been even more perfect! I am so terrible at names and matching "handles" on the forum with real names!!

I would definitely attend a yearly event at Dick's house and agree showing tanks should not be a competition.

Thank you for hosting the great event. I think it would be a great annual event for the club (since you are doing all the work :p). I would try follow suit and host one also once my tank is on the way.

I would certainly make it if it was a yearly thing.
:cool:

If you are going to have all that awesome food though, 1-3 is an awkward time for major eating.

I second the request for name tags next time. I don't think I got anyone's name, and after the fact, Matt (@<3-2-reef) and I saw several people post, whom we didn't realize we saw in person!

plus 1 on making it a yearly event. It was great just to talk face to face like Dick mentioned. I definetly agree on the name tags as well ( with your screen name) so It would be easy to identify members. I missed out on meeting a few members because I didn't realize they were there. My daughter still talks about how the birds talked to her. She could not believe a bird could talk. Good times, good food, good people.
see you next year!

Back