Cali Kid Corals

Drill for overflow??

Think i can drill this for overflow?

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 279
I guess the other question is...does anyone near SF have the drilling template put out by the glassholes.com folks?

Also, if i can drill it out, it's an 80 gallon. what overflow and associated equipment would you recommend? Sump, skimmer, etc

Think i can drill this for overflow?
Here is the label on the tank. Google didn't come up with a reference for it. in the bottom of the tank there is a label that says "tempered glass...do not drill" i'm told that's common for the bottoms...

thoughts??

Attachments

• tank lable.jpg
    tank lable.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 257
Thoughts??

Everyone's given you their thoughts. Be patient and find the right tank instead of trying to do it rushed and on the cheap. This is not a forgiving hobby.

Did you buy it already?

If so, that's too bad. As the label states, it is tempered and CANNOT be drilled.

I had asked earlier what your requirements and budget were.

I'm always on the look out for good deals (just scored an AP700 n LeRusso stand for $625! O.O) and could have helped you locate a tank that would fit your needs.

If you have already bought it, there are a few solutions you can try.

HOB overflow or,

You can check if the back pane is also tempered and do an external overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did, but only paid 140 for the tank and a stand. thinking of just using the
Deluxe CS102 with Lid and Aqua Lifter - CPR Aquatics hang on back overflow

The 75 reef ready tank I listed above is $100 tank/stand and already has overflow.

I don't think you got a good deal for your purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO the tank will be the cheapest part but also most important part of the reefing journey. So I would spend more on it for decent hardware. All other components can be easily replaced later, but not the tank.

My view of HoB overflow: another bit that can go wrong and flood your house.

I have had 2 JNS VS-1 Hang-on Protein Skimmers on my 120 gallon reef tank since January 2012 and haven't had a problem with them yet. I did not want to drill the glass nor have a sump. Flooding probability is low as they are designed for water to just cycle back into the tank if clogged. I do take them apart and soak in vinegar for a deep cleaning once in awhile but typically just empty cups once a week so pretty low maintenance. (with that said something will now happen - ugh!)

I agree with Phuong above that the tank is probably the cheapest but one of the most important decisions you will make. Lot of differing opinions and there is no right answer but I would not ignore @neuro Alfred.

I have the Glass-holes drill and template (for 1 1/2" fitting) and already drilled a few Aqueon tanks.

As for the hang-on overflows,
Until a few months ago I had a DIY on my 18" cube and it worked OK. The downside is that it is in any case a rather dangerous appliance, especially if you are gone for more than a few days. I had regularly shake out the air bubbles that collected in the U-tubes.
It was a temporary solution in my case and I would never recommend this kind of overflow for a new reef tank in the planning.

Back in Germany my first reef tanks had similar overflow boxes (back then with Tunze U-tubes which have the advantage of an evacuation port) and I had a few floods - thankfully my parents house has concrete floors, so the damage was mostly to the carpet and furniture.

So I would strongly advise to either get a reef ready tank (with internal overflow and drainage hole) or get a tank you can drill yourself.
But I would be careful with a used tank as well - a blown seam is about the worst that can happen. I had it once but got lucky in the way that it was more of a small leak so I had time to evacuate everything in a rather orderly fashion. A more serious leak can really ruin your day.

Back