Jestersix

Finally! Alk monitoring

Here's jim welsh in rich ross's secret lab looking at the prototype alk monitor.

Untitled.png

So does anyone know if Jim Welsh is going to scoop Mindstream on alkalinity monitoring or will this be a charitable open source semi-buy and build kinda thing.

Here's jim welsh in rich ross's secret lab looking at the prototype alk monitor.

View attachment 5612

So does anyone know if Jim Welsh is going to scoop Mindstream on alkalinity monitoring or will this be a charitable open source semi-buy and build kinda thing.

Jim technique is based on titration method (he mentioned using reagent), I think he just automated it. Mindstream technique is completely different. They use flourescent technology. I am sure there's a lot of pros and cons to both methods so I am kinda excited to see how they'll stack up to each other. Really exciting time ahead in the next few months for sure.

Jim technique is based on titration method (he mentioned using reagent), I think he just automated it. Mindstream technique is completely different. They use flourescent technology. I am sure there's a lot of pros and cons to both methods so I am kinda excited to see how they'll stack up to each other. Really exciting time ahead in the next few months for sure.

Titration, nice!

Hmm, I thought mindstream was planning to measure PH and CO2 (using IR sensor), then calculates Alk.
As a bonus, they get Carbonate Alk that way, not just total.
But I could be very wrong.

I see, so one plans to use some sort of probe, you dip it in your tank and it tells you. The other is you put a water sample into some device and then it teslls you.

V

I see, so one plans to use some sort of probe, you dip it in your tank and it tells you. The other is you put a water sample into some device and then it teslls you.

V
I don't think you put the water sample in. I think it has a continuous feed and checks the water automatically at prescribed intervals.

At MACNA 2016, was at the morning APEX breakfast and Rich Ross gave a small talk, mentioned this item and that he loves it. They have no idea when/if it will come to market and what the cost would be, so unfortunately don't get your hopes up. It does use special reagent and auto titrates every 15 minutes I believe with accuracy to the hundredth.

Hmm I didn't see him at MACNA, was he only doing a talk? I did recall hearing someone talk about it (maybe it was Rich) and I did hear that you could do quicker tests it just uses the reagents up that much quicker.

I know, how smart is that. I know I've got at least 1 or 2 of the old pin point PH meters laying around in my junk drawer. They would be perfect for that.

Back